Key chuck drill

Hi, i bought a cheap keyed chuck drill from Argos - the brand is Challenge- and for the life of me I can't figure out how to use the key to loosen the chuck and insert the drill bit. Any help and ideas appreciated! Apologies for the idiotic question.

Reply to
sarahdena

Problem is, if you can't figure that out, should you really be using dangerous power tools? Let Darwin decide I guess. Insert the round end of the chuck key into the hole in the side of the chuck so the bevel gears engage. Turn the key clockwise to tighten, anti-clockwise to loosen. There are three little jaws in the chuck that protrude from the end of the chuck as it tightens, clamping the drill. Insert the plain end of the drill bit into the chuck. If you insert the pointy end you will have difficulty drilling a hole.

Reply to
tiscali

What a condescending prat you are!

Reply to
Rednadnerb

I thought it rather amusing myself.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Rednadnerb" saying something like:

Get back in the kitchen!

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Oops.

Reply to
Rednadnerb

Would it be this drill?

$cip%3D49998.DIY,+garden+and+car%3EC$cip%3D50098.DIY+power+tools%3EC$cip%3D50102.Power+drills.htmWhat a crazy long URL.

The "Challenge 900W SDS Drill Kit" claims to have:

SDS chuck for quick bit change.

13mm keyed chuck with adaptor.

Which I assume means that it comes with both a keyless and keyed chuck. WTF does SDS mean?

Reply to
Matty F

Steck Dreh Sitzt.

HTH.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Not really. But for the benefit of others here's a picture of an SDS and non-SDS drill:

the SDS chuck clearly has a trick to it but surely can't be hard to work out. Never seen of heard of them in my country, but they sound a good idea if you have vast amounts of masonry to drill. My wooden house has no need for hammer drills.

Reply to
Matty F

Generally there is a spring loaded collar that simply pulls back a little, allowing the bit to be withdrawn from the chuck.

They have other uses too:

John Rumm