Drill Chuck Cleanup

I acquired a used Delta 16" Drill press a while back and have just begun using it finally. The Chuck has a very slight bit of external rust and doesn't spin easily - feel sort of 'gummy' to turn and I pretty much have to use the key.

How does one go about disassembling and cleaning a chuck ?

jim

Reply to
Jim Bailey

Jim Bailey May 3, 8:56 pm

Newsgroups: rec.woodworking From: "Jim Bailey" - Find messages by this author Date: Wed, 04 May 2005 00:56:41 GMT Local: Tues,May 3 2005 8:56 pm Subject: Drill Chuck Cleanup

I acquired a used Delta 16" Drill press a while back and have just begun using it finally. The Chuck has a very slight bit of external rust and

doesn't spin easily - feel sort of 'gummy' to turn and I pretty much have to use the key.

How does one go about disassembling and cleaning a chuck ?

I wouldn't disassemble it. I'd give it a good solvent spray or two or three('til it drips cleanly), then a light oiling. Tom

Reply to
tom

First things first, don't even think about trying to disassemble the chuck, it becomes a total PITA.

Get a can of Kroil from Kano Labs in Nashville, TN and soak the chuck a few days in it.

Remove and allow to drip dry, then oil with a light weight machine oil.

Something like 3 in 1 oil if they still make it?

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Put a few drops of Liquid Wrench (light-viscosity penetrating fluid) on the movable parts, lightly tap the chuck with a screwdriver several times, and allow the penetrating fluid to work its way inside the chuck. You may want to allow the fluid to soak in overnight. Wipe off the rust on the chuck with a rag lightly dampened with kerosene (the kerosene will also help prevent more rusting.) No need to remove the chuck from the spindle, nor to disassemble the chuck.

What's really important for a drill press is checking for runout.

Once you discover how useful a drill press can be, you'll wonder how you got by without one. Having a special and convenient place for the key will save you frustration and perhaps improve safety.

Reply to
Phisherman

Thanks all round Gentlemen. Sounds like complete consensus this time. I'll give it a shot.

jim

Reply to
Jim Bailey