Keeping damp at bay in an unheated garage

Does that work across the whole shed with a single heater? I would have expected the heat would not reach all necessary areas sufficiently.

I have a 1.5 width garage I would like to do something similar with, and was wondering about a dehumidifier.,,

Thanks Jon N

Reply to
jkn

A desiccant dehumidifier would use about 400w for a smallish one while actually running. This would heat the shed at least as much as your 500w heater as it would recover the latent heat from the water it condensed while the air is damp.

Reply to
dennis

The heater is in the middle of the shed. The owner got some cheap Celotex/Kingspan and insulated the roof initially, and later some of the walls, but never finished it.

Everything in the shed is raised on old pallets and spaced slightly away from the walls, so there's air circulation to get the heat circulated. It seems to work. The temperature/humidity sensing is near one of the walls, which should be one of the worse positions in terms of higher relative humidity and lower temperature.

I already had the ancient oil-filled radiator. (It had been my grandmother's, but being old, it's very well made and I rewired it some years ago.) If it had been necessary to buy something, given what I now know, I would have recommended a couple of tubular heaters to place at each end, for better heat distribution. CPC has them on offer occasionally. I would avoid a heater with any particularly hot parts such as a radiant heater or bare wire heated convector heater.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

There's the capital cost to consider too. Though it does look as if they're not much over £100.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

Far from. When we put a desiccant type dehumidifier into an unheated building it filled its tank daily.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I am moving and there is a outside concrete shed and I want to put a tumble dryer fridge freezer chest freezer how do I protect them from the cold so they all don't stop working

Reply to
dave

Insulation. Lots. Plus some heating when the tumble dryer is not in use. Your Fridge Freezer will not work anyway if the temperature is below typically 16C.

Reply to
Andrew

Beko are the ONLY company that make freezers and fridges that will work in locations that are colder than 16°C.

Unfortunately they are the most likely make to burst into flames so our freezer in the garage and there is a heat detector in the garage too linked to teh rest of teh house's detectors.

Reply to
SH

Touch wood our Beko freezers (3 so far) have all been fine in cold areas.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

16C? That seems an awfully high temp to stop working. I can see why the compressor will stop on single stat fridge/freezers when the ambient temp approaches the fridge temp but not at 16C.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

A very quick search suggests that UK appliances are generally happy between 10C and 30C.

16C (unless a typo) does seem remarkably high.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

On the latter I think it will, since otherwise fridge freezers in the home would be on permanently. Another tip is to have the appliances off the ground, ie on a plinth if possible. Berian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

I wonder if you have in mind that some fridge/freezers had to be switched manually to a winter setting if used where the ambient temperature fell below 16.

Reply to
Robin

Indeed. My Liebherr F/F has this switch. All it does (on mine) is keep the internal bulb on at a reduced voltage, so that heat from the bulb tricks the thermostat into thinking it needs to turn on the compressor. Without this feature, a F/F with a *single* compressor and thermostat would allow the freezer contents to rise above -20C because the fridge is being kept cooler by the lower ambient temperature.

Reply to
Andrew

Not necessary on the Beko I've got - I think they use a particular sort of gas that can stand colder temperatures.

Not burst in to flames yet either, funnily enough.

Reply to
RJH