Jigsaw + saw guide

I need to make a number of cuts to worktops, it's at work so the finish doesn't have to be amazing but I want an edge straight enough to glue a strip on afterwards.

Do folk tend to find this achievable with a saw guide and a jigsaw?

Reply to
R D S

A circular saw is 100% better than a jigsaw for straight line cuts, even a very good one like Makita/Bosch.

Use a sawboard with a circular saw.

Reply to
David Lang

A jigsaw inherently doesn't cut straight or square. And is pretty slow on something that thick. Also tends to loosen the plastic surface as the blade goes both ways. I would only use it on curves (if any)

I usually use a circular saw (cutting from plain side and run a belt sander over the cut edge afterwards to remove loose bits.

Reply to
harry

No... the lower end of the blade will wander.

Cut with a jigsaw, leaving a bit. Clean up with a hand plane, sharp and set fine.

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer

+1
Reply to
stuart noble

Perhaps I'm spoilt, but in anticipation of doing a few mitre cuts in a worktop I bought a router and a template.

A router leaves a clean edge.

Reply to
Fredxxx

You'll have to sharpen the blade blade every 5 minutes.

Carbide tipped circular saw blade with leave an almost perfect edge.

Reply to
David Lang

For cleaning up, I have used a power planer, with TC blades.

Reply to
Fredxxx

Fred is correct.

A half inch router and a straight edge guide is the way to get a good cut in a worktop. All the other methods including a good jigsaw with a new blade may be acceptable for government work and may be good enough to glue on a strip of something (you don't say what, wood? Laminate?)but are far from ideal.

tim w

Reply to
TimW

Yes...

Yes, but I figured he didn't have one -- else he wouldn't have asked about the jigsaw...

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer

Jigsaw and saw guide are simply not compatible. So no.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

  • lots