Rising Damp in garage walls

I'm suffering with rising damp in my garage walls, and I'm not sure of the best way to deal with it - if I need to do anything about it at all. There are also damp patches on the concrete floor. I was thinking of painting a waterproof sealant on the floor and then putting some self levelling compound down (the floor is also a little uneven and I'd like to sort this out too), and I was going to look into the cost of a chemical DPC in the walls (there are 3 walls that are getting damp). Anyone know a reasonable amount to pay for this?

Although it isn't causing me a problem, I'm about to build a practice booth in the garage to play my drums in, so I'd like to start with a dry garage before I get stuck in.

Any tips as to how I can remedy this as cheaply as possible would be appreciated.

James

Reply to
James Varty

Although you've provided certain information, it's not enough!

What location is the garage? Terrainian. ...sub-terrainian, the bottom of a incline....in a floodplain?

What are the walls made of..concrete..brick..timber?

Don

Reply to
Don Spumey

Sorry.. the walls are single brick on 2 sides (left, right) and mainly breeze block on the other 2 (front. back). There is no door - I had it bricked up. The garage is at the bottom of my garden (road to left and front, neighbours garden to right). Ground level comes about 2 ft above the wall on my patio garden side (back)..

The damp is largely where bottom of the wall meets the floor, and up to 2 ft above floor level in patches on 2 walls (right and back). The third wall (front) has damp about 5 ft high - this is the wall built recently to brick up the garage door - Some brick but breeze blocks used to fill up door opening. The fourth wall (left) is fine. There is also patches of damp on the concrete floor, which is cracked / uneven in places. The ground surrounding the garage is quite normal - footpath running against 2 walls, neighbours garden on 1 (just grass / paving) and my garden (patio) on the other. Ground is pretty flat.

James

Reply to
James Varty

Remove anything that you may have stacked up against the sides of the garage like wood, earth or paving slabs. Check to see that there is sufficient drainage around the outside of the garage. Check the walls for damaged pointing. Check that the guttering drains correctly away from the garage.

sponix

Reply to
sponix