Joining Worktops

It's an ongoing process. Decade on decade new controls are introduced but almost never rescinded. Part of it is a desire to control, part of it is that virtually every regulation is there for good reason, though as with Part P a critical analysis may show that the cost/benefit case is totally unsustainable. The politician's fear is that if they remove a control one week and something related happens the next week the Daily Mail will tear them to pieces for doing so. I mean Jenny Tonge MP's daughter wouldn't have been electrocuted if we'd had Part P would she?

Reply to
Tony Bryer

Nah, club hammers are easy to use. It's using a claw hammer on a chisel [1] without a hand guard that hurts.

Chip, chip. Ow ; Chip Chip ... etc

HTH

Paul.

[1] Usually cos it's downstairs, or misplaced etc ...
Reply to
zymurgy

The pro who did my worktop recently, using a large Makita router, used that method (I've never done it myself, or even seen it done, before) and he certainly made an excellent job of it.

David

Reply to
Lobster

According to a report I heard on local radio today, more people now get hurt by laminate floors than by chip pans.

So hopefully, at least that will mean laminate floors get banned soon...

david

Reply to
Lobster

Don't know where in the country you live but this guy has a good reputation and posts here occasionally.

've never personally used him

Reply to
Steven Campbell

In message , Lobster writes

Yehbut, there's a load of people (inc local fire brigade) in the North-East running round at this very minute trying to get traditional chip pans banned following a recent house fire & death case.

Reply to
Steven Briggs

In message , Antony writes

Even with a 1/2" router its recommended to use several passes. I recently did some W/T joins and found 4 passes @ 10mm plus a final trimming pass did the job nicely. Tip of the day : When cutting the dog-bones make damn sure the router plunge is locked. I didn't notice mine was slipping down and came within

1/8" of breaking right through. Would have been an expensive mistake!
Reply to
Steven Briggs

Good thing.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Yes, but it's near Scotland and they have deep fried pizzas and Mars bars there.

It's probably best to let nature run its course since they have a speech impediment anyway.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Definitely not, but sometimes you have to be cruel to be kind.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Many thanks for that, I'm sure I remember the odd post from kitchenman too, from my past forrays into uk.d-i-y. I will e-mail him and see if he's prepared to brave the M25 to get to me...

Reply to
Chris Cowley

Part P is not really about safety, is it? It's to get more people to use tradespersons and not DIY so that Gordon gets more tax.

Mark

Reply to
Mark

No that started on the 1st January 1973.

Reply to
Matt

It isn't - you are supposed to do multiple passes even with a big router. About 10mm per pass is about the limit.

Reply to
John Rumm