Joining motorways

In other words, those travelling from A to B

http://g.co/maps/t9rjpon the link above.... which lane shouuld they approach the roundabout in?

Reply to
funkyoldcortina

Nah!, that ones simple, the really odd one is the Magic Roundabout in Hemel Hempstead..

Wonder what they were smokin when they dreamt this one up;?...

http://g.co/maps/u77jm

Reply to
tony sayer

Id say middle or right, lacking road markings to the contrary

But situations like that are not ones with exact answers.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Adrian C

Common as muck. (Ok, there are several)

Andy Champ

It mentions Sheffield but misses the point completely about Park Square, which is that the lanes spiral outwards.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Where roundabouts have such lane markings, that is what would be expected. If the lanes don't spiral towards the exits, everyone would end up on the grass in the middle.

Is your point that the lanes are continuous, instead of being in shorter sections of concentric markings, with traffic making transitions outwards between sections?

Here is a nice big roundabout, which also spirals, though it has since been relieved of the A46 flow.

http://g.co/maps/srcn4Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Approach the roundabout in lane 2, indicate left as you arrive at 2nd exit (Ferris Row) and take position to exit (lane 1) into Fairground Way.

Simples.

Reply to
Brian Watson

In message , Brian Watson writes

Unless there happens to be a lady driver in a huge Mercedes who has arrived at the inside lane and plans to drive round to exit 3:-(

Happened to me at Costco, Watford.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

The answer is Lane 2 or 3. Both would be satisfactory, provided you made your intentions clear by indicating correctly.

I would hold my position (in an imaginary lane) on the roundabout, and start (and keep) indicating right until I was passing Exit 1. I would then stop indicating.

Then, when was opposite the exit lane for Exit 2, I would start indicating left, and (if OK to do so) progressively begin moving to the left - but keeping a good watch to my left in case anyone about to enter (my) Exit 2 appeared to be entering the roundabout and coming up on my left side, thus preventing me from taking Exit 3.

If all was going OK, I would then continue moving left and exit safely at Exit 3.

Reply to
Ian Jackson

provided those using them know what they are doing.

Reply to
Ian Jackson

In message , Tim Lamb writes

This sort of thing happens all the time at roundabouts. The moral is "Always expect the unexpected", and act accordingly.

Reply to
Ian Jackson

Be Prepared! Dib! Dib!

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I wonder what insurance and claims management companies think of them?

Reply to
Adrian C

I would treat exits 2 or 3 as "straight on", taking my cue from the fact th= at the right hand lane on the entry road separates before the junction, whe= reas the left hand lane splits itself into two. Junctions are inconsistent= on this, with some having the right hand lane splitting, and others having= the left hand lane splitting.

I would view the right hand lane as to be used only for drivers heading dow= n Marquee Drive, though I would also be on the lookout for drivers who perh= aps made a different judgement in the few seconds before arriving at the ju= nction and might want to treat the 3rd exit as a "sort of right turn".

Matt

Reply to
larkim

that the right hand lane on the entry road separates before the junction, w= hereas the left hand lane splits itself into two. Junctions are inconsiste= nt on this, with some having the right hand lane splitting, and others havi= ng the left hand lane splitting.

own Marquee Drive, though I would also be on the lookout for drivers who pe= rhaps made a different judgement in the few seconds before arriving at the = junction and might want to treat the 3rd exit as a "sort of right turn".

I'd also point out that the preceding road sign indicates that the 3rd exit= is the "main" exit from that roundabout (or if it doesn't actually say tha= t, it certainly gives that general impression that that's where they expect= most traffic to go to) so that would lead me to think as a driver that you= can choose either the middle or right hand lane.

Matt

Reply to
larkim

So much for your awareness of other road users near you.

:-)

Reply to
Brian Watson

Lots of roundabouts spiral outwards.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Some of them even have slightly raised bits where you'd expect to see white lines, just to make sure that people get the message.

It's now the Europe wide recommended standard for roundabouts, where practicable, as it increases traffic flow by reducing confusion and discouraging drivers from just cutting across, or overtaking on the roundabout.

Reply to
John Williamson

I love these. Just when you have congratulated yourself on having selected the correct lane, you find yourself in the wrong one!

Reply to
Ian Jackson