Jif Replacement

I have just finished my last drop of Jif (kept for when that extra bit of cleaning was required!)

Is there anything on the market that really gets through grease and grime? I have a cupboard full of useless cleaning materials including Cif.

Reply to
Pinot Grigio

You taking the mick?

Cif is Jif.

Reply to
George

Can you still get "Gumption"?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Have you tried an angle grinder?

Reply to
Icky Thwacket

Don't be silly...his wife is not allowed near the sink.

Reply to
George

Cif is supposed to be the same but it does not clean as well as the old Jif. It is more creamy and runny than the old stuff.

Reply to
Pinot Grigio

As far as I know only the name changed,twas something they found out about Jif? and wasn't good for the brand?

Have you shaken it to make sure its contents are mixed well? some times these cleaners are on the shelves for ages?

Reply to
George

Yep, I always give bottles a good shake. I bought Cif soon after the name change but it just wouldn't clean off those grease spots. I managed to buy some Jif before it disappeared and it did the trick. Could I have bought a duff Cif?

Reply to
Pinot Grigio

As I heard it, the name Cif (used in Europe) was deemed unacceptable for us due to the similarity to syphilis. Not sure what made them change their minds.

Reply to
Rod

Languages where there is no J in the alphabet?

Reply to
Bob Eager

George

went from Jif to Cif.

Reply to
Bob Eager

I should have said...the two co-existed for many years under the same name...

Reply to
Bob Eager

Ha! Have just got back from the weekly shop armed with a "Cream Cleanser" - the same as Jif. The reason was the same as yours: a cupboard full of "useless cleaning materials". Or, rather, I should say, too-specific cleaning materials. Take "Cillit Bang", for example. The lying toads say in that amazing commercial on TV that it possesses the most incredible power to clean anything anywhere. I have found it only good for removing limescale. When it comes to cleaning the top of the oven hob it will remove the deposit left where water has boiled over & evaporated, leaving a limescale deposit - our water here is quite alkaline. But it won't remove the grease and fat! A cream cleanser, like Jif or some other brand, PLUS a bit of elbow grease, will easily remove the whole bloody lot!

I can't think of anything better than cream cleanser. I just wish it didn't produce this white creamy froth that takes a great deal of rinsing away!

Eddy.

Reply to
Eddy

The message from Andy Burns contains these words:

I think it's now called 'Astonish'?

Reply to
Anne Jackson

The message from "Bob Eager" contains these words:

Welsh?

Reply to
Anne Jackson

Leave it to dry and polish off.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I've been looking for MARATHON bars to ages too. I refuse to eat anything with a name that rhymes with ladies underwear.

R.

Reply to
TheOldFellow

You do know that there are two types of Cillit Bang? Grime & lime which is acid based and Power Cleaner Degreaser which is Alkali - and very good IMO.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Abrasive creams can dull shiny polished surfaces.

This stuff is better. It shifts all grease in seconds up to the point where it is verging on being like burnt on oven grease. It leaves those behind as small pinhead sized islands which need another treatment.

is available from most cleaning suppliers but Lakeland are about the cheapest. Note that the 500ml bottle for £3.99 is 5x concentrated.

I don't know if the trigger spray bottle comes with it, looks like it does but they don't actually say.

It is even better / faster acting than my erstwhile favourite "Aerosol Label Remover" "Electrolube LRM" containing d- Limonene, which makes it smell of oranges.

DG

Reply to
Derek Geldard