Is it worth insalling a sattelite dish for freeview channels?

Reminds mew of the time we spent an enjoyable afternoon in a little village in Lombok watching the locals cutting down a tree for us after the d*****ad who did the survey hadn't noticed the firkin great tree obscuring the line of sight to the next dish down the way

A grand time was had by all except for the local telephone operator, whose tools of his trade (telephone wires) were inextricably intertwined with the branches

Reply to
geoff

The more generalised none FreeSat boxes give you a choice of all of the regional channels, you get all of the choices of BBC North, BBC South West, ITV Yorkshire, ITV Tyne Tees etc.. Plus all of the none scrambled HD channels and many more +1 Hour channels than there are on Freeview terrestrial. Some channels such as History, Dave are missing on Sat, but there are lots more channels which are on Sat, which are not on Freeview.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

go here:

in your postcode and see how strong your signal should be.

Reply to
tim.....

I just pretended that I (still) lived in London.

I can't be doing with local news about farmer Joe's cow

tim

Reply to
tim.....

Do you actually mean FreeView or just free to view?

I have a non FreeSat satellite receiver with a dish rotator and can receive many thousands of channels. How many you'd want to watch is up to you, of course. I've not checked, but at least most of the FreeView ones are there.

Are you in an area where the full compliment of FreeView progs ain't available? And never will be?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Reply to
Java Jive

Yes to the substitution ! On my humax box, you can go into non-freesat mode to get extra channels, but you lose the 14 day freesat EPG. The two modes do not integrate, and its too much pain to keep changing back and forth. Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk:

Probably the latter, in retrospect (apologies)..

Wow - that sounds like the setup I'd like.

Not sure about that. It does look as though I don;t have line-of sight to any transmitter, but I guess the same applies to a large percentage of UK houses...

J PS: I want to say how grateful I am to everyone for the input on this topic. I've always liked this NG, but the generous feedback in this thread has been truly heart-warming. Long live the UK, and power to the people!!

Reply to
JakeD

Not expensive to do. My receiver came from Lidl as part of a kit, and I later added a larger dish with rotator. Total cost just over 100 quid. Later still I changed the receiver to an HD one.

If you have people staying from some other countries it can be very useful to give them their 'home' progs - but I soon got bored with it. There's lots and lots of dross out there. ;-)

But there are some movie channels you'll not get on FreeView. And one or two other interesting things. If you love religion, you'll be in heaven. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

However if the signal path has trees or buildings in the way there can be an effect.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

So were you forced to leave the city then?

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

I'm thinking of getting a second box to avoid the changing. Financal approval may be a different matter 8-(.

Reply to
<me9

If I wanted to work, yes :-(

tim

Reply to
tim.....

Remember you will need independant feeds from the LNB to each satellite receiver or devise some switching arrangement. The latter I have never seen, it has to go from DC to over 1GHz... I guess you could cable swap but that is probably more hassle than switch receiver mode.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk:

Does the rotator allow you to control the direction of the dish (side-to- side and up-and-down) from inside the house? If so, that sounds fantastic. Can you recommend a particular make/medel of this device?

Thanks again,

JakeD

Not up and down - simply side to side, but of course it's more of an arc. The receiver memorises where the various satellites are - indeed if you align things properly, once you've found one it seems to find the others for you.

Can't remember the make - came as a kit with a 800mm dish from Ebay for about 60 quid. I think they all use a universal protocol so will work with any receiver.

The DC for the motor goes up the co-ax cable, so needs no additional wiring.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

How they work, and more importantly how to set them up, is explained on my site. If you just want the general drift, read the intro (link

1), if you want the naked and heavy actualities, read the relevant analysis page (l>
Reply to
Java Jive

In article , JakeD scribeth thus

Yes they do just that we used to have one but the need for more then the one Sat at the same time saw Two dishes and multi LNB's. They do the up down thigh if you line them up correctly...

Reply to
tony sayer

You use a "polar mount", once setup left/right movement tracks the Clarke belt.

Reply to
brass monkey

The motor only rotates in one plane. At any one point, the dish can only be moved side to side - not up and down. Because the pivot isn't vertical, the dish follows an arc as it pivots - so does rise and fall. But you can't adjust the up down with the motor.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)