Integral or Capillary

No. Any flux aggressive enough to make that approach reliable is going to revisit you with a pinhole leak in a few years. Owing to its location, it's just not practical to scrub away all flux traces from installed pipework.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Why would you want to clean the inside of the pipe? The solder goes on the outside - usually. It could be argued anything that prevented it creeping where not needed is a good thing.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The aggressive fluxes are water soluble so will get washed away - except in the case of gas pipes. But I don't think we were discussing those.

I've not had a problem with pinhole leaks despite using aggressive flux exclusively. And like any chemical reaction it isn't driven on by perpetual motion - once its reaction is over it will do no more 'damage'.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You normally want to clean the inside of the fitting rather than the pipe. The exception to this is if you use a pipe flaring tool to make pipe to pipe end feed joints without using any fittings at all.

Many pipe cutters (the monument pattern ones) have a triangular spike on the end that can be used to ream the burr from the inside of a cut pipe as well.

Reply to
John Rumm

Yes indeedy.

Good practice to aid water flow anyway.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Not (empirically true) for cuprous alloys though. There are corrosion mechanisms (look up "bronze disease") that go on for as long as there's atmospheric moisture and unreacted metal.

If flux residues didn't cause pinholes after a few years, I wouldn't have had to redecorate my landing.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

You wouldn't -- but how many people will tend to do so (at least the tip) whilst scrubbing around the outside of it.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

All the plumbing in this house was installed by me about 30 years ago using Everflux as the flux. The outsides of the fittings wiped with a damp cloth after soldering. No problems to date and no corrosion showing on any visible ones. I have seen poor quality end feed fittings which developed pin holes in a short time, though.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

He has sense at last.

Reply to