Insulating conduit for water pipe.

Before I install a new hardwood floor I want to replace the old lead water main that runs underneath it. I was intending to run this in conduit so that it can be accessed if necessary without having to lift the new floor.

The local water company specification for new pipes requires that pipes running in the floor void are insulated which sounds like a good idea. Foam insulation would be fine for the pipe but can anyone give any suggestions as to the best way of insulating the conduit? I have already spoken to an engineer at the water company and he tells me that there is no problem with running the uninsulated pipe through insulated conduit.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew

Granules.............You needs granules. Vermiculate or expanded polystyrene beads as used for packaging stuffing.

If using proper conduit, like with the top that is removable then just fill to halfway height, pay pipe and fill to level top. That's what was in the floor of a flat I used to own, and it worked very well

Reply to
Robbo

This doesn't make sense, how are you going to get at the pipe if it's under the floor?, regardless of conduit, unless you mean pullthe pipe through?

Reply to
Phil L

Isn't that the idea of MDPE? It's flexible and can be moved or removed as required. At 20mm it's piss easy to work with and if, (unlikely I know) needing replacement then easily removed bu pulling

Reply to
Robbo

That was the idea. Install the conduit and insulate it and the if I need access to the pipe pull it out of the conduit and pull a new piece through. It's a fairly direct route from the stop-c*ck under the lawn to the main stop-c*ck in the cloakroom.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew