Inkjet Printer Cartridges (a bit OT)

I wonder why the genuine cartridges tend to last longer than the "compatible" ones? Can they somehow get more ink to soak into the foam? - or do the sellers of compatible ones try to make more money by selling more - by underfilling them?

Reply to
John

Depends what you mean by "last" - run out of ink or jet gun failure. I would have thought there would be no point in underfilling as ink is very cheap. The usual problem is that jet guns are manufactured to have a limited life which means they will often blow while using the first/second re-fill.

Reply to
Roger Cain

John wrote in

I'd have to admit to being a cheapskate here but the difference between the real thing and the compatibles is the difference between using an inkjet and not as far as I'm concerned.

When I source a new printer, the availability of compatibles is a key issue. The printer on my desk uses black ink cartridges at 11.99 each for originals or 47p for compatibles - guess which I buy. Actually, I lash out and get the more expensive compatible (quicker drying time allows for high speed throughput) at 1.27 - hang the expense.

YMMV

Reply to
PeterMcC

Mine is Epson - so I am not replacing jets - only a sponge filled box.

OP

Reply to
John

My guess is that this is an Epson printer and you are going by the low ink warning given by the printer, rather than running the cartridges to empty. As an online vendor of compatible inkjet cartridges, I can say that all of the ones I import contain at least as much ink as the originals and some contain twice as much. The actual cost of the cartridge is a fairly small part of what you pay for when you buy one, so the potential savings from scrimping on the ink is miniscule..

However, Epson printers often report compatible cartridges as containing less ink than they do. Doubtless this is because the compatible chip manufacturer are unable to make a chip that works properly, rather than being a feature built into their printers by the most aggressively anti-compatible of all the printer manufacturers.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

Before long you'll be replacing the entire printer because the capilliaries dry up and make it US

Reply to
Colin Wilson

Twice as much ???? Are you from Red Shark [or whatever they call themselves this week] to tell such fibs? If not, say who you are as many might be interested. However, don't bother if you are the guy from Arundel who resells the JetTec stuff.

Reply to
Emil Tiades

If you want HP 363 colour compatibles. Otherwise, at least the same as the originals, for both new compatible and remanufactured (recycled) cartridges, comparing against the highest yield version if there is a choice of cartridge capacity.

However, don't bother if you are the guy from Arundel who resells the > JetTec stuff.

I didn't know there was one. Arundel is only just down the road, but I rarely go there. The bulk of our sales are to the trade and they don't want customers coming back to the shop to complain, so we make sure what we import is decent quality. Our new compatibles cartridges are G&G, which is a brand name of Ninestar Corporation of China, and we are the UK agent for InkTec of Korea, mainly selling their refill kits and bulk ink. Everything comes with a 30 day no quibble guarantee on quality, a guarantee that we will have G&G and InkTec products in stock and same day dispatch for orders received by 2:30pm on a working day. Card handling is done by Protx, so we don't get to see more than your card type and the last four numbers, and we only take the money from the card after the post has been collected and the goods are on their way.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

"Colin Wilson" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@news.motzarella.org...

One of my Epson printers is about 8 years old. They just need to be used regularly, although I have got one that had been standing idle for a couple of years going again with about a dozen head clean cycles.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

nightjar My guess is that this is an Epson printer and you are going by the low ink

Colin,

Not meaning to suggest that this isn't so, but surely the advantage of supplying less full cartridges would not be (as you suggest) minuscule savings of ink but in needing to replace the cartridge sooner and hence selling more?

Reply to
Rod

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Sorry, should have said - Lexmark cartridges

Reply to
Man at B&Q

"nightjar" > However, don't bother if you are the guy from Arundel who resells the

I'd ignore it Colin, usenet is filling up with net-loons.

Reply to
Steve Firth

That has been a successful strategy for the printer manufacturers over the past few years. However, it only works if you have spent vast sums on building a brand image that will get people buying your products, even if they cost several times as much as an equally good alternative.

The compatible cartridge market is highly competitive and there is nothing like that sort of brand loyalty, so we need to keep customers by giving them what they want. For most of them, that is supplying good value for money to people who, by the nature of the business, are someone else's dissatisfied customer and who are generally better informed than average about the product. Selling under filled cartridges to increase sales volume might be superficially attractive to the bloke who sells a few cartridges from his spare bedroom, but it is not a good long-term strategy.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

It depends which ones. Black cartridges 16, 17, 23A, 32 & 34 each take 10ml of ink, so you get two. The other black cartridges take the full 20ml in one refill, while colour cartridges with plungers, rather than 25ml bottles, only take 5ml of each colour, so you get four refills.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

If you want cheap, get an old LaserJet 5. Toner's £15 and does 3000 copies or so. I costed it out at 1p a sheet including paper.

Reply to
Doki

Doki wrote in

I get around 500 pages to a 1.27 cartridge - at that rate, £15 does just short of 6,000 and the inkjet prints in colour. Having said that, I would agree with you that lasers can be good value - and again, I opt for refilling my own cartridges - see, told you I was a cheapskate :)

Reply to
PeterMcC

What make and model is that?

Reply to
kevallsop

snipped-for-privacy@holdthefrontpage.co.uk wrote in

Canon Pixma ip4300

Reply to
PeterMcC

My Canon ip4000 seems to have suffered from the effects of JetTec ink, and I've ordered an ip4500 as a distress purchase replacement.

May I ask Peter (and anyone else) which makes of compatible cartridges have proved reliable, and for any tips on the re-use of the Canon chip?

(private email fine for "avoid ..." replies, if you prefer not to go public)

Reply to
Kevin Poole