Inkjet printers

So, I have this printer the Canon MX700 all-in-one.

Which, I would recommend, only as the inks are affordable if you use refurbs and such. Basically $2 an ink cart.

But, buyer beware, what will $2 get you? Pretty sure you can omit "quality".

I have two questions:

1) How do you know when your print-head has gone bad? I took it off, soaked it in alcohol, put it back and it was a little better, but not completely. Seriously, is there any difference between a new print head and mine other than the new one isn't clogged?

and

2) Actually, I only have that one question.

Thanks in advance

Mr. Curious

Reply to
ng_reader

Hi, Printer uti;ity lets you clean things and do alignment w/o taking the head out. I like Canon printers. I have MP990 and MX530

Reply to
Tony Hwang

? "ng_reader" wrote

Try comp.printers newsgroup

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

doggone free usenet servers don't carry that newsgroup

i can't be the only idiot to try this. not that I'm an idiot.

Reply to
ng_reader

about a jillion times. thats what makes me think it's the printhead

Reply to
ng_reader

In a home setting it'll be long time to replace head. Then I'll gout buy a newer printer for little more cost than buying a replacement head. If OP sees the difference in print quality between MP990 and his MX700......

Reply to
Tony Hwang

I use an HP 8000 wireless and just keep a new one in stock. They're cheaper on amazon dot com than the replacement ink. I stack the printers in the barn, and use the ink and printheads that come with it for $89. (a full replacement of ink and printheads is $125)

Reply to
Steve Barker

If i recall correctly, HP was sued for the high cost of their replacement inks. Again, if I recall correctly, it didn't do much good.

Reply to
ng_reader

Do you get as much ink with the "new" printer as you do from the "replacements"?

IIRC a lot of "new" inkjet printers come with an underfilled ink supply, so you have to buy a "full" refill one rather quickly.

Jeff

Reply to
jeff_wisnia

try entering the word printer(s) into your news group seach option.

That said most cheap printers it's just not worth the time/money to fix. Likely you can buy a referbished unit cheaper then you can buy the part (on the assumption you can buy the part)

Reply to
NotMe

Hi, Of course that is sample pack. They make money selling ink. If one prints a lot, go use laser jet or invest in a CISS.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Can't we just go back to the days of chain printers and masses of fan- fold paper? :-)

Reply to
Jules Richardson

Tells you how to check and clean the print heads and when its gone bad.

More info:

§nühw¤£

thank you for your response.

Reply to
ng_reader

I service an office with 25 or 26 Canon Inkjets. I refill the "tanks" for $2 each black and $1 each colour. Printheads are very simple to replace, and I just bought 12 at $50 each- which allows us to keep using the same kind of ink cartridges for all the printers instead of buying new printers that use different cartridges. The printheads on the ip4700 printers are not lasting as long as the old ip3500 and ip4500 series.

Reply to
clare

I had heard that also. ALLs i know is that the ONE black cartridge i bought at the store did NOT last as long as the ones that come with the printers. I'm not buying any more at the store.

Reply to
Steve Barker

"HeyBub" wrote in news:idmdnd0P5KAwX9_QnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com:

I tried that, but apart from being messy, the ink didn't last long. Where did you buy your stuff? I'd like to try again with something that would work on my Canon iP6700D ... Thanks in advance!

Reply to
Han

snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com:

=3D=3D I gave up on the refillable route. I now buy generic ink cartridges at one third the price of regular replacements. Best part is that they are made by the same manufacturers in CHINA. They are essentially the same quality. =3D=3D

Reply to
Roy

Found usenet alternative. posted. response came, thanks guy in Netherlands. (I'm guessing)

Using another cheap cartridge solved 85% of the problems. Could be that when I get another black replacement we will be to 100%.

In any event the use of inkjets is clearly one of cost. *If* there is a steady supply of refurbished cartridges, it is WELL worth it. I have been quite successful with the Canon product line, in as much as finding the ebay marketplace willing to offer inks for, like I said, $1 to $4 a piece. New ones are $30?

For that matter alone, I am sticking with Canon printers. But, you have to buy ones that are 3-5 years old for a market to exist for ink-carts.

FWIW

Reply to
ng_reader

I think we (TINW) are placating the people who refuse to join the

21st century. They are lazy, they want a printed copy delivered right to their desk without having to press a button. Then, if something is not to their liking, the onus of modifying it and re-transmitting it falls on the sender.

A good response is to send a fax with a black background and white text. When it eats up their precious toner at a high rate they are more willing to switch to email. ;-)

Reply to
G. Morgan