Epson inkjet printer

Anyone know how to get at the paper feed on a photo RX 420?

Before anyone says.... I do have a replacement on order!

My problem is the 2+ sets of now unusable ink cartridges:-(

The early symptoms were a *squark* noise prior to the paper feeding to the start position. This morning I had a paper jam followed by repetitive fault signals. Diagnostics were unhelpful so I unscrewed all the visible screws but failed to get access!

Is there a *Dyson plastic barb* tucked away and only known to service engineers?

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Presumablly you tried the gentle waggling/twisting/prising of now loose parts to work out were any common pivot points are and thus where there is still a fixing of some sort.

Personally I'd dump the inkjet and get a colour laser, capital is higher and a set of toner cartridges is eye watering(*) but they "just work". You don't have to spend half an hour pumping expensive ink into the collection sponge in "cleaning cycles" when you want to print something in colour and the printer hasn't done any colour for a few days.

(*) But with Epson cartridge prices as they are probably only about four or five and toner lasts for far more pages...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I agree, I'm just dumping the HP photosmart for a Brother 9020 colour laser. Just over £200 from Amazon. The HP cartridge costs are excessive and they dry out with our infrequent usage. The Brother lasers have a good reputation and the other family one has needed only a new black toner cartridge in 4 years of operation.

Reply to
Capitol

In message , bm writes

Yes. The solution was courage driven by nothing to lose:-)

A prize off access plate gives access to the ribbon connector for the scan assembly. The ribbon is carefully glued down over a screw which releases the pivot for the scan. Once the various connectors have been released, the deck lifts off. With the deck off the 4th. holding screw for the top housing can be reached. Still not there as there are a further 3 screws hidden below the stick on legend plate for the control buttons!!

Now inside but not much wiser. Fair bit of paper shavings/dirt but nothing obviously broken or jammed. I was hoping to find something simple like a dirty photocell etc. I'll waft a vacuum cleaner around it before a blast of compressed air and then attempt re-assembly.

The printer is well beyond the expected life as I had the ink counter reset 2 years back.

I don't do enough printing to justify a colour laser: mostly b/w copying plus photos for which it has been excellent.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

The wiper seals in all four of the original toner cartridges in my HP laser failed at more or less the same time, not bad at ten years old I guess. Shame they were all still at least half full at the time though...

Reply to
Lee

One of the first things I try when there are any obvious screws is a firm finger pressure over any labels. You can detect the hollow through quite thick foil labels, POP to take a sharp pointed knife and cut a little circle out of the label to gain access (making note of any serial/model numbers that may get "edited" in the process.

Is that Espon an "all in one"? We don't do much color, our HP CP1515n is fine for the vast majority of printing. Serious photos I'd upload to Photobox and get a proper prints. Most of our printing is monochrome and I've set up all the window boxes default printers to use black only, you chose another "printer" if you want colour.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

prise off

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

suggests it can be either.

Reply to
Fredxxx

'twas actually Mr Lamb not I. B-)

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I had tried finger pressure.

Yes. I fully concur with opinions about ink costs/head cleaning etc. but it has done all I needed for around 8 years.

I'll reassemble it tomorrow but don't believe I have fixed anything. The new version is up and running. Bit quicker but otherwise similar spec. + unneeded wi-fi.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

The perils of depending on spell checkers.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Thisi isnt US.D-I-Y

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

In message , Dave Liquorice writes

Guilty:-)

Reply to
Tim Lamb

My copy of the Compact OED gives prise(v) see prize(v), which suggests that, in the 19th century, prize was the preferred English spelling.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Did you mean "This isn't US.D-I-Y"?

Can you see the radio button on that page I gave to indicate that "British English" has been selected?

Anyone would think there was an envy element towards the US.

Reply to
Fredxxx

We have got a Lexmark CS510de - a bit over £200. Far, far better than I expected. For "office" quality the colour is very good. (Definitely not as good as a decent inkjet working well. But much faster, no head clogs, etc.)

Reply to
polygonum

The old Epson has been re-assembled. Works OK as a copier/scanner but refuses to print from the computer. Different set of squark/clunk/click noises followed by *paper jam* message.

Anyone want some new free ink cartridges? Office depot compatible with EpsonT055240

Also 3 left over screws:-)

Reply to
Tim Lamb