In car camera Detector

Hi there

hope this is the right forum for some advice.....

I have bought a very nifty (and legal of course) Camera speed detecto for my car. At the moment it is connected by a fairly simple cigarett lighter connector at one end to a mini USB socket on the detecto iteself. As the detector has a built in GPS aerial it needs to b positioned on the dshaboard with a clear view of the sky.

Unfortunatly on my Renualt with a heat reflecting windshield, the uni has to be stuck ontot he screen by the rear view mirror and as result, the cord dangles down and is very ugly and slightly dangerou as it hits the gearstick.

So I would like to hard wire the unit into the back of the cigarett lighter so power goes to it whenever the ignition is on.

Question is (finally) Can I cut off the end that goes into th cigarette lighter - which is a big bulky plug and wire into positiv and ground from the ciggy lighter? I relaise there will obviously be fuse on the power side if I open the plug, nick the fuse and then run i inline with the power can anyone forsee a problem?

-- alexbartman

Reply to
alexbartman

No but cant you wire into the interior light circuit up in the roof? O get a remote aerial and place this on the rear parcel shelf and put th unit on the dash

-- freddyuk

Reply to
freddyuk

The bulky plug thing is a 12volt to 5v adapter (I assume because you don't say which brand you have), you obviously can't take it away and wire straight into the 12v of the car as the unit requires 5v. It will go bang if you plug it into 12v.

Can't you get an external antenna? Then you can stick the unit itself in a sensible eye level position.

Reply to
georgetaylor

It depends.

Is the unit 12v - if it has a USB connector, and can be powered from a PC's USB socket, then it will be 5v.

If I were you, I would get one of these

this to the back of the existing lighter socket (Use the same thickness cable as is used to supply the existing socket), then plug your adaptor into this, hidden behind the dash somewhere (Assuming the lighter is powered off when the car is tuned off, or you could drain the battery)

I have done this in my car for my PDA's cradle power supply, works a treat, is easily removed, and does not void any warrantee!

Sparks...

Reply to
Sparks

I cracked open the lighter plug, removed the sprung terminals and soldered a foot of cable onto each 12v input instead. Then hid the whole lot behind the dashboard (wired into the radio supply) - the thin black 5v lead emerges from the trim a few inches from the GPS device, very neat.

But.... If I did it again, I'd save time by spending 61p on a socket device as recommended by Sparks. Also easier to move to another car if you need to.

Reply to
Steve Walker

How does it work? By checking your position against a database?

What kinds are legal/illegal?

Reply to
NRH

Anything that detects emissions is illegal. Devices that tell you where speed traps ought to be, by position, such as GPS, are legal, although, of course, you are then relying on the database being both correct and current.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

Curious when camera positions are either advertised or have signs before them.

Reply to
Andy Hall

The signs only need to be within 1km of the camera and GPS won't reveal mobile traps.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

Radar detectors are now illegal.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

There is no requirement for police traps to be advertised or even visible. They also move them about so that GPS devices can't warn you.

You don't need a speed trap warning device. Many drivers have driven for years and have not been caught speeding.

Does this tell you something about the ones that have?

Reply to
dennis

I don't think so, otherwise anyone who buys a broadband spectrum analyser is breaking the law..

You might as well say a speedometer is illegal, because its a device to prevent you from speeding which you otherwise would have done.

Such as painting the cameras yellow?

such as GPS, are legal,

Indeed.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

wouldn't it be easier to not speed?

Reply to
Rob Horton

In article , nightjar writes

I heard they were looking to close the loophole following the successful appeal against a prosecution under the Wireless & Telegraphy Act but hadn't realised they had actually got round to it yet, do you have a reference I can look up?

Reply to
fred

"nightjar .uk.com>"

Speeding is illegal but people still buy GPS speed trap indicators so they can speed in between traps.

Reply to
dennis

Section 18 of The Road Safety Act 2006 - Speed assessment equipment detection devices - gives the Secretary of State the power to ban them under the Construction and Use Regulations. I was under the impression that the relevant Statutory Instrument had been issued, but I can't find it if it has. However, even if they are still legal, the SI is certainly under preparation and will be issued soon.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

The theory is that the speed cameras are only erected where there is a history of accidents, so getting people to slow down there achieves the aim of improving safety. Of course, GPS will not show where the mobile cameras are. My local force uses one from a van with a large camera logo on the side - parked so the logo is visible - and they still get plenty of customers.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

That maybe they are low mileage drivers? I used to do 40,000 a year pre Handymaning and it's almost impossible to do that many miles & not get a ticket.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

In article , nightjar writes

Thanks for that. It certainly doesn't make easy reading when it just makes amendments to The Road Traffic Act 1988 but I managed to get the gist. The draft Statutory Instrument is easy enough to find and I hadn't realised it was around as early as 2001 but no sign of the full release. I'll keep an eye out for it.

Reply to
fred

When are you coming back to collect the little piles of screws, lamp packaging and brick dust you left lying around the place?

Reply to
georgetaylor