SWA

Hi

I am planning on installing electrics into my detached garage. I am running 4mm2 SWA cable in a 750mm deep trench, the question that I have is how to bring the cable inside the house? The house floor level is higher than the patio outside and I can get under the floor. What is the normal way to get this cable inside the house? If I just drill a hole through the building there will be a bulging radius on the cable where it enters the hole, how do you get round this? I would rather not joint it outside in an IP box if possible.

TIA

Reply to
Cuprager

On Tue, 06 Feb 2007 13:45:03 +0000 someone who may be Cuprager wrote this:-

Depends on what is inside the house. For example you may be able to fit a suitable box under the floor and terminate the SWA there.

Reply to
David Hansen

I am fine with the termination once the cable is inside, I am more concerned with the best method of getting the cable inside in the first place.

Reply to
Cuprager

When I put power outside I hired a 1m long 20mm drill bit + drill from hire shop for a day and drilled at an angle from in my garage (below CU) below damp proof course and came out in the foundations outside. Drilled two holes one for power and other for lights. Put cables on and sealed the holes with injected silicone.

Reply to
Ian_m

On Tue, 06 Feb 2007 14:43:12 +0000 someone who may be Cuprager wrote this:-

Through a hole. Where and at what angle that hole is made depends on your particular circumstances. Factors to consider include whether the cable is to be terminated just inside the building (and if this is the case how the cable gets to the box including things like bending radius) or is to run inside the building (and if this is the case where and how it is to be run).

In other words, there is no general best method of taking a cable into a building. Rather the best method depends on the particular circumstances. In your case that would include questions about what the floor is made of, what depth there is under the floor and how easy it is to get under it.

Reply to
David Hansen

You drill a slot in the wall rather than a hole, to accommodate the bending radius of the cable.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

You don't have to bring it in at all. You could have a waterproof adaptable box mounted on the outside of a wall of the house, that you run the SWA up into and terminate with the normal gland kit, then drill through the back of the box and either take normal cable though the wall, or even the inner of the SWA which is far more flexible once the armour is no longer round it.

Reply to
John Rumm