Impact Driver recommendations - Makita TD0101F ?

I'm considering buying a corded impact driver, So I can fix battens into walls with selftapping bolts, and screw wood beams togethe, etc.

Makita TD0101F ?

there a better or cheaper alternative?

[g]
Reply to
george [dicegeorge]

Never heard of impact on a 1/4 inch hex drive before, must be missing something.

Self-tapping bolts, you mean because your interior walls have metal studding?

Personally I wouldn't be using an impact driver for self-tappers or wood screws. YMMV.

Reply to
newshound

I have never tried a corded one, (unless you include pneumatic ones on an air line!), but looking at the spec on that one, it actually delivers less maximum torque than the 18V cordless one I use[1]. Having said that

90 Nm is probably more than adequate anyway so if you need to do lots if fixing without pausing for a battery swap then its probably a good deal.

If you already have a Makita cordless drill, (or other tool) the cordless IDs can be very good value bought "body only" to use with the same batts as charger. (my 18V one was about £80 odd quid that way IIRC)

[1]
John Rumm

I have a corded Makita impact driver, can't recall the precise model number, but its superb.

I bought it for decking because 6mm x 90mm coach bolts take a lot of battery power and a corded tool takes the load off the battery one.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Self-tapping bolts, you mean because your interior walls have metal > studding?

They do a very good job of both IME - (medium sized screws and up).

Reply to
John Rumm

An ID for use the way TMH does - hundreds of large screws, one after the other - I can see the need for corded. But for anything less intensive, I would (I did) choose cordless in preference. Simply note that cordless pro-models far outnumber cordless - most pro's are choosing cordless.

Reply to
dom

The batteries are not lasting long on my battery one so i'v ordered a TD101F from makita-direct.co.uk for £55.94 inclusive.

[g]
Reply to
george [dicegeorge]

I'll elaborate on that. I already had a 14.4v Makita impact driver with

3 x 3a/h Ni/Mh batteries. To speed things up I wanted a second impact driver.

Since you remove a 'life' every time you discharge/charge a battery I figured a mains driver was cheaper than replacing a battery - which strangely it is. Battery being £70 odd.

I'd definitely go for cordless as the first choice, but the corded is a handy tool.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman