IEE (16th Edition) Wiring Regulations - Books

Having looked at what is on offer on Ebay. I notice that the majority consist of the three books by Brian Scaddan, which cover design, inspection and testing and installation. While these books are very good they are only intended as a supplement to BS 7671. The 'BS 7671: Requirements for Electrical Installations' is the true guide to electrical installations. I say guide as these requirements are non statutory.

Having researched this myself a couple of months ago I have found the following books to be the best and clearest guide to understanding domestic wiring. I personally own all of these (as well as the less liked Brian Scaddan books).

BS 7671: Requirements for Electrical Installations

of Electrical Engineers On-site Guide to BS 7671: On-site Guide to 16r.e (IEE Wiring Regulations) Institute of Electrical Engineers
Electrician's Guide to the 16th Edition of the IEE Wiring Regulations BS7671 John Whitfield
"Which?" Book of Wiring and Lighting Mike Lawrence
you buy the BS7671 I would certainly buy the onsite guide, as the BS7671 does not give much in the way of practical advise. John Witfields book is the best for a concise understandable approach to the BS7671 but does not help you with the 'old ball' problems. The 'which' guide is excellent for getting a grasp on how it should be done, and what is available for you to do it with. Saves a lot of head scratching down at B&Q.

I have no connection with Amazon, or any of the authors. It's just MHO.

Be aware that the BS7671 and Onsite guide are under review and you should try and buy the brown copy (the colour changes every time there is an update). However these changes are minor for the general house basher, and if I were you I would buy the older versions (blue) second-hand as the market will be flooded with people trying to shift them as the new one come out. In about a year or so there will be a change to the three phase colours currently red, yellow and blue to brown, black and grey. Also the lighting ring in houses is about to change take a look at

and
.

If you need to know more than the BS7671 tells you then there are seven guidance notes that you can buy: Guidance Note 1: Selection and Erection of Equipment, 4th Edition (IEE Publication) Guidance Note 2: Isolation and Switching, 4th Edition (IEE Publication) Guidance Note 3: Inspection and Testing, 4th Edition (IEE Publication) Guidance Note 4: Protection Against Fire, 4th Edition (IEE Publication) Guidance Note 5: Protection Against Electric Shock, 4th Edition (IEE Publication) Guidance Note 6: Protection Against Overcurrent, 4th Edition (IEE Publication) Guidance Note 7: Special Locations, 2nd Edition (IEE Publication)

Hope this helps.

Regards

Gary

Has anyone bought a copy of the CD that is on eBay for sale - > "IEE 2004 (16th Edition) Wiring Regulations on CD ROM". > > It seems to be "ebooks" of Brian Scadden guidance to the regs. > > If so, what are they like? > > W.
Reply to
G Cadman

cheaper at the Coop....!!

Reply to