16th or 17th Edition - Building Regs etc

Hi all

Started to look in detail at the kitchen re-furb project now. The structural alterations were carried out in 2006 IIRC and so I have a building regs case still open. It remains open until electrical work is done and certified and then they will issue a completion certificate AIUI.

I have previous correspondence from them regarding their coming to inspect first fix. As the work "officially" started in 2006, can I legitimately install to 16th Edition regs?

Current Situation

My CU will not accept RCBOs and the cooker and lighting supplies are not currently RCD protected, as required by 17th Ed. I could cover the chases with metal capping and provide "mechanical protection" that way, but if I can avoid all these hassles I would rather.

Any insights please?

TIA

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

TheScullster wibbled on Wednesday 21 April 2010 12:14

Not according to the IET - the grace period has passed.

But remember that the IEE regs are not mandatory - you will however have to satisfy your BCO - ask him. Who's doing the EIC - you or one of their agents?

Metal capping is not officially (IEE regs) sufficient for "mechanical protection".

best bet would be to install a 2nd consumer unit (ideally full sized, little one if not possible) with a main RVC (2 or space for 2 on a split configuration if installing a full sized one).

Split the incomer with a Henley block and wire your new circuits to the new CU.

If you're really stuck for space, come back for some more suggestions.

Reply to
Tim Watts

New CU? They are not that expensive these days.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

"ARWadsworth" wrote

Hi Adam

I thought the RCBOs were running at around £50 each.

8 of those and money for the box ~ £450-500, or am I out of touch with this?

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

I suspect that you may be out of touch.

I am paying (ex vat)

£17.50 for Wylex RCBOs and £2.00 for MCBs £19.50 for Hagar RCBOs and £2.50 for MCBs

I also am paying £56.50 for this CU

RCBOs throughout are the best option, the hi-integrity 17th edition CU is IMHO a good second best. You can split the circuits betwen the two RCDs and use RCBOs on the unprotected side if you wanted to.

Adam

.
Reply to
ARWadsworth

"Tim Watts" wrote

From the tone of the original communication, the implication was that the BCO would cover inspection and testing. Whether that has gone by the way-side, either due to elapsed time, or change in practice I don't know.

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

I disagree unless you can cite a reference.

If the installation was DESIGNED on or before 30 Jun 08 then the 16th edition can be used. See BS 7671:2008, Page 4, "Introduction to BS 7671:2008" first paragraph.

Whether that is a good idea is another issue!

Regards Bruce

Reply to
BruceB

BruceB wibbled on Wednesday 21 April 2010 17:40

Well, OK. But what will happen in practise most of the time is that the LABC will have it PIR'd as their means of testing, which by default will inspect it against the 17th. That will then produce a few "not to current regs" type notes which any normal person will know how to read (ie not worry about) but the BCO may well get scared without a 100% clean bit of paper.

Not saying it's insurmountable, but it may be the fly that plops on the butter...

Reply to
Tim Watts

From the conversation I had with my BCO when doing my loft (or more to the point when getting the completion cert which I did not do until some time after), he seemed to suggest that if you started work under one set of rules, and they changed, then you could complete under whichever you liked. So long as the work was in accordance with the rules as they stood at the time or as they are now (on the basis they get more rather than less strict with time.

Check with the BCO is going to be your most expedient answer here.

Reply to
John Rumm

I've just paid £20 + VAT for some Crabtree Starbreaker RCBOs.

Reply to
Jim

Where from? I cannot get Crabtree for that price.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

the flyer I got from CPC a week or two back had them at about £10. I was wondering how good their own brand (pro-elec) ones were?

Reply to
<me9

A rebadged Clipsal and no comment.

Adam