I've finally found the answer ! tool rolls !

The surplus action seems to have moved to the Germans (long since a supplier of parkas) the Swedes (greatcoats and hats), the Russians (hats, silly, high, for ossifers) and the Chinese (knock-off copies). Not so much British Army any more, as I don't think they can afford to buy enough for much to be surplus until it's utterly worn-out and shagged. Ebay is a great online source for much of the above, but prices tend to be higher than I was used to paying in the small local surplus stores.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

So what kind of needle did you have for sewing thumbs?? ;)

Reply to
docholliday93

My elderly Singer 522 recently, whilst plugged in but not in use, gave off magic black smoke. I disconnected, had a quick look, but saw no evidence of damage. It finished the job without problems, but I have to regard it as on borrowed time.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

I've just had a look at eBay, there are a few motors available there. The 522 is a sturdy old machine - don't just junk it!

Reply to
S Viemeister

If it's electric it isn't elderly. My machine has a treadle, and no magic smoke to leak.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ