I am deserving of a medal (maybe)

Board swapping isn't that difficult. More Meccano than electronic skills.

Working as in no longer receiving off air broadcasts, yes.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

So pray tell what is better with a new TV than a decent 5 year old one?

Be better if you found a supplier which gave decent value for money. But given it isn't your money, hardly surprising you know little about sourcing things.

Nice to know you are so wealthy. And altruistic.

In 5 years time there will be some new gimmick to trap the unwary.

Care to read before posting?

To you? About 1000 quid, since you've got money to burn.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yes of course I've been considering upgrading same as I do with computers.

The OLD one has NOT broken. It is in my spare oom upside down if it were plugged in and stitched on it would still work.

If it had of pbroken down I wouldn;t have spent ages searching for a board on ebay, before that I had a hitachi 24" CRT I brought in 1988, I repaired that 3 times before chucking it. Do you think I should have carried on maintaining it ?

How much time and money would you spent repairing a CRT TV from 1988 ? Me it;s nothing and about 30mins effort. Woudl you have driven 10 miles and replaced what was wrong. it wss the LOPT I could see and hear it arcing over.

Reply to
whisky-dave

But you still need to know which board and have the right tools which seem to be triangluar screwdrivers.

yuo can still use it though with VCR, DVDs.

Reply to
whisky-dave

£20 an hour is ok for a lot of people

obviously the cost of resulting injuries would outweigh the lighting cost.

People dim efficient lamps now

e can though that's the point and the item to be fixed needs to be of suffi cient value to make it worht fixing and for most an old TV of 5 years old i s hardly worth fixing.

I doubt that. But certainly there's some widely believed misinformation abo ut electronics.

n stock in my lab. If I had a dimmer that died I'd most likely take it apar t to see what was wrong but most dimmers I;'ve seem have surface mount devi ces with the number scrtched off and tyou have to buy them in packs of 10, resistors packs

ie you don't have the skills to fix it

have to buy them in quantities of 100, would hardly worth buying for one T V is it.

ditto

pairing one of those.

Reply to
tabbypurr

It's not the same as PCs. New PCs perform better. New TVs receive and display the same resolution, frame rate, colour gamut etc as old ones.

that is not English.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

+100.

Akso if you are retired or unemployed, you can look at the opportunity cost of e.g. in my case fixing some scales for £20 including buying a new soldering iron, needed anyway, or spending £20 on a new set of scales that will fail in the same way again,. or spending £40 on a new set that wont.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

A surprising number of TVs are relatively trivial to repair. In many cases just by buying a suitable board from ebay if you don't fancy doing it at the component level.

Not necessarily - especially with dimmable LEDs.

That depends on if you fix it because its cheaper, or simply because you can and its less hassle than getting a new one, and you get a sense of satisfaction and achievement from it.

Reply to
John Rumm

Quite. I reported a Samsung 55" failing just out of warranty. It was pretty obviously a power supply fault, as the standby LED was on but it wouldn't power up. I did the usual capacitor checks on the PS, but couldn't find any faulty. So looked on Ebay and found a warranted good board for 35 quid. A simple job to change. That was about a year ago, and it still works fine.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

En el artículo , Harry Bloomfield escribió:

A few years ago, I picked up a top of the range Adaptec SCSI card retailing for 300+ quid at a boot sale for 1 euro, sold as faulty.

Close inspection showed a 4-pin surface mount crystal had pinged two of its pins off the solder pads. Plugged my soldering iron in and two minutes later it was back in business.

I still have it in my bits box.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

I am still trying to raise my lower jaw to a person who buys something he doesn't need, spends hours fixing it, and then puts it in the spares box..

'Swivel eyed lunatic' for some reason springs to mind

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Alternatively you are missing the inference that it was then pressed into use, and only later was retired to the bits box?

Reply to
John Rumm

Given the poster, that would seem to sane an explanation

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

En el artículo , The Natural Philosopher escribió:

Oh? I used it for many years.

Two blobs of solder. 5 mins max. You may take hours to do the same thing, but then you're demonstrably incompetent on several fronts.

Once I stopped using it, yes.

Looked in the mirror lately?

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

En el artículo , John Rumm escribió:

Oh, but facts have no place in his swivel-eyed world view.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

So if yuo have a dimmer that is faulty to get a repair man in at £20 I ssume you will pay for parts too....

I'd just get a new dimmer for half the cost of a repair

Why spend over £20 on replacing a £10 dimmer.

How would you know that to be a fact. I don't leave my bathroom light on 24 /7 or even all of the night. Do you really leave the hall lights on all nifght.

Yes I do but NOT for efficincy or saving money but to have less light say f or when watching TV, I don't dim the lights just to save money. The main reason I use dimmers is to reduce the amount of light quicly and e asily.

one can though that's the point and the item to be fixed needs to be of suf ficient value to make it worht fixing and for most an old TV of 5 years old is hardly worth fixing.

bout electronics.

Such as what they last forever because there;s no moving parts. We all shou ld know how accurate that is.

in stock in my lab. If I had a dimmer that died I'd most likely take it ap art to see what was wrong but most dimmers I;'ve seem have surface mount de vices with the number scrtched off and tyou have to buy them in packs of 10 , resistors packs

I do have the skills but won't waste my time or the colleges time fixing a dimmer switch.

I thibnk curved is a pointless gimmick but 4K and HDR will be worth getting is 3 years or so.

Reply to
whisky-dave

What sort of idiot says that TVs havent; improved in the last 5 years.

if you truely believe that there's not point going any further is there

Reply to
whisky-dave

A decent 5 year old one?

I assume you bought the size you wanted originally. Obviously if the wrong size a new one might be a better bet than repairing it.

Hardly a new feature.

And that only applies to new TVs?

That's been around for ages.

Likewise.

A killer feature.

So not only do you need a new TV, but new everything else which used a SCART? Even more of a reason to repair the old one...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The sort of idiot who doesn't believe every advert they read.

Perfectly possible to buy a new TV that isn't as good in any way than a decent 5 year old one. Of course if your 5 year old one was cheap rubbish, it's quite possible a new one would be better.

Never is with you. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I wouldn't dream of buying an iPhone. But my phone works as a remote control too. For those who can actually be bothered with such nonsense.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)