I am deserving of a medal (maybe)

So you don;t belive that 625 lines was better than 405 or that HD is better resouliontion than SD or that 4K etc....

So the quaity of TVs hasn;t imporved in teh last 5 years is that what your saying and even if you are why should I care.

Yes same with any product but why do ou think delebratly buy worse products than they used to is that the way you do things.

I'm not the idiot paying £20+ for someone to repair a £10 dimmer

Reply to
whisky-dave

What's so wrong about being drunk?

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

I ssume you will pay for parts too....

you completely misunderstood

Oh dear

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

er resouliontion than SD or that 4K etc....

Lol, 5 years not 50 years.

NT

PS I do have a 405 line TV.

Reply to
tabbypurr

So pray explain what changes have been made to the broadcast signal in the last 5 years?

You seem more concerned about the chrome surround you think all older sets have...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Imagine the scenario. You have a broken dimmer so get a man in. He has to see what replacement is needed and get it. Then fit it. Would 100 quid cover it? Probably not in London.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Wicks do a very nice one for a tenner. LED compatible. 15% of that last weekend.

Well, we've established you know f all about dimmers. Others -including me

- can sometimes fix them.

You keep plenty spare dimmers at home, then? Or do you simply ignore the time and cost of going to get one?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

No idea and I care even less. As far as I know minimal 4k content is being broadcast presently.

Again you've go the wrong and no idea.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Exactly.

Now tell how you reapired yours what traic did you use and why bother when a new one can be as little as a tenner. I paid more for mine as I didn't wa nt white platic.

your the one that knows f*ck all about them. For the last 10 years they have been sealed potted products.

I have ONE spare dimmer, but it's no good for LED lighting.

if it's DIY I don't include such costs, anymore than I include delivery ti mes it's DIY NOT a paid project. I don't get amazon prime either, I get cheapest shipping options. B&Q was 400m from my door, screwfix is about 1/4mile away.

Reply to
whisky-dave

tter resouliontion than SD or that 4K etc....

If technology has improved significanly for me then I'd purchase a new prod uct irrespective of whether my existing one is working or not. Why is that so difficult to understand ?

Get help.

Good for you but how to you wacth youtube on it ?

Reply to
whisky-dave

As I thought. You believe adverts.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Who said it needed a new triac? Do you *ever* read posts properly before replying?

Right. You've now established that not all dimmers are the same. And vary dramatically in price.

The one I first mentioned repairing was part of a grid switch system. And not possible to just go out and buy a new replacement. So rather fortunate I had the skills to fix it. Getting your 'man' in would have been fun, as the chances are he'd never seen the like before.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

'Improved' to you seems to be based on adverts. One thing you have mentioned is many no longer have a SCART port. Is that an improvement to you?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I said reviews NOT adverts just because you think they are the same. I lnew because I do them too on the odd occasion.

Reply to
whisky-dave

better resouliontion than SD or that 4K etc....

it hasn't

I don't. Why you'd think I do escapes me. FWLIW it's probably possible by using 480x640 video.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

On Wednesday, October 5, 2016 at 11:21:18 AM UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wro te:

Someoen said they replaced a traic in their dimmer. Someoen else has replaced a FET in a latern You claim to have fixed a track on a dimmer.

Yes well done.

Irrelivent to what it was a part of.

but it is with a lot of DIY related stuff such as dimmers.

So rather fortunate

well I wouldn;t get a man in to fix something if he;d never seen the item b efore for you this might be rocket science but not for me.

Reply to
whisky-dave

s better resouliontion than SD or that 4K etc....

It had for me.

You've said tecnology hasn't changed.

but that's NOT yuotube is it.

I'm not sure why your finding this som difficult to grasp. People buy TVs quite regulary far more often than I do my last one was brou ght in 1988 a CRT.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Most reviews are adverts. And generally written by those with zero technical knowledge. Hence your 4k being broadcast bit.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

And? A simple job for those with the skills.

Likewise.

I didn't claim to have done this. I did it.

It makes a difference to the sums when working out wether to repair it. As does taking into account the time etc needed to go and get a new one. Something like a posh 3 gang dimmer could exceed 50 quid to buy - even more if you went to the closest place to buy one.

Makes a big difference to whether it is worth repairing. With your approach of only fitting new, the whole panel would have to be replaced at the cost of hundreds. And then wouldn't match the other wiring accessories in the room.

Some dimmers.

Sorry? You are the one who is saying it not practical to repair a dimmer. So it is obviously rocket science to you. But not to many others.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

your talking shit yet again on both counts. Tell me what or which channles are broadcasting 4k in the UK.

I can usualy tell the difernce bertween a true review and an ad. maybe you can't but that isn't my problem.

Reply to
whisky-dave