KABOOM !!! :) Anne South Australia

Reply to
Anne Chambers

That's a L-O-N-G way to be blown :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Anne , you've hit the nail on the head.

Some people will complain about anything. They expect perfection (yet make excuses for their own imperfections). Life isn't perfect but whinging about it doesn't make it better :-)

This is what would typiclaly happen in UK.

As I said, life isn't perfect.

I'm glad that you and your husband had good care, there might come a time when everyone can - but there will still be those who think it should be better.

Thanks for your story,

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Following up to Mary Fisher

I don't do gas DIY! Electric, yes, all done before the new reg, of course.

Reply to
The Reid

Under the doctrine of patient choice, wasting money, and pandering to superstitionists, I daresay that'll be offered by the NHS quite soon now. They already offer homeopathy.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

snipped sad sad story

I am so sorry to hear of your loss and relieved to hear that the experience was so well ameliorated by your health system. I got the general idea that 1) it was illegal to exclude anybody, and work was not the only road, but also social clubs, etc. and 2) the cost was leveled by using the entire population as a risk base, rather than in the USA where insurance companies cherry pick the low risk people and refuse to accept anybody who has been sick. Insurance being tied to jobs alone is cruel. In downturns millions are uncovered at a low time in their life when they are particularly vulnerable to illness. I am deeply shamed by this aspect of my home country. At the height of my career as an independent professional, I paid about

10% of my income for insurance and still had to pay 20% co-payments for care and got no drug coverage. I was not covered at all for possible recurrence of a cancer I had had as a youth. At the same time I was paying more per month for social security pension payments than I now receive as an early retiree. Those two items came to about 30% of my salary.
Reply to
Umbrian

Of course :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

On Tue, 18 Jul 2006 09:01:31 +0100, The Reid had this to say:

I thought the gas man was supposed to come on a Monday.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Following up to Frank Erskine

you always worry, don't you, but it proved plain sailing.

Reply to
The Reid

On Tue, 18 Jul 2006 08:00:00 +0100, June Hughes wrote (in article ):

The organisation itself.

At one point they even had a radio advertising campaign to attempt to recruit nurses back who had left to look after kids etc. There were voiceovers from "nurses" who had allegedly felt it their duty to return because the NHS had looked after their great aunt Nellie or something like that.

Utter and complete bullshit and representative of an organisation that believes that it is doing its customers a favour.

I know a radiographer who worked for many years in NHS hospitals and really believed in the system. Eventually the lack of professionalism, poor facilities, filth in places where there shouldn't be and general disinterest from colleagues led her to leave to go and work for one of the local private hospitals. I happened to see her recently for an Xray and had the opportunity to talk to her for a while. She has never been happier. The work environment is better, the attitude of staff professional etc. It certainly wasn't about money - she makes a little more but not a lot.

Reply to
Andy Hall

On Tue, 18 Jul 2006 09:01:31 +0100, The Reid wrote (in article ):

You tell me. They should either make it free at the point of delivery, and genuinely so, or not claim that it is.

Reply to
Andy Hall

On Tue, 18 Jul 2006 09:01:31 +0100, The Reid wrote (in article ):

The only aspect where an economy of scale is interesting would be the bulk purchasing power for drugs etc. However, that requires a small purchasing organisation, not a cast of millions to do it.

Reply to
Andy Hall

On Tue, 18 Jul 2006 08:04:13 +0100, June Hughes wrote (in article ):

This is the whole point. It isn't necessary to have a state operated organisation on this scale.

Reply to
Andy Hall

On Tue, 18 Jul 2006 09:01:32 +0100, The Reid wrote (in article ):

All that is required is a simple administration to organise and distribute funding in the form of vouchers for patients to spend on healthcare with a provider of their choice.

Reply to
Andy Hall

On Tue, 18 Jul 2006 10:27:50 +0100, Mary Fisher wrote (in article ):

Just no government involvement in service delivery. It isn't necessary and adds no value.

Delivery of healthcare can be through for-profit organisations, not-for-profit foundations, etc. etc. There are a myriad of ways to do that which do not need to involve government.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Yebbut commercial organisations are always trying to agglomerate. Remove govt as the employer, and even if you start with lots of private organisations/trusts/whatever, they'll all tend to merge.

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

A gas powered boat!

There's posh.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

On Tue, 18 Jul 2006 09:01:32 +0100, The Reid wrote (in article ):

So imagine what could be achieved by taking out multiple levels of government bureaucracy and firing half a million civil servants.

Reply to
Andy Hall

I think Mike was saying that it IS free at the point of delivery and wondered why you were questioning it.

Reply to
Mary Fisher