How have the mighty fallen? OT.

In message , The Reid writes

Sigh! Probably.

Reply to
June Hughes

In message , Andy Hall writes

That is a load of old bullshit, as I suspect you know.

Excuses, excuses.

Reply to
June Hughes

On Wed, 19 Jul 2006 08:24:02 +0100, The Reid wrote (in article ):

It isn't exception cases.

I'll give you four simple examples.

- Cases where a branded, but more expensive drug does a better job than a generic because of the filler material used and the effect that that has

- Blood glucose test strips for diabetics.

- Nasal CPAP equipment for sleep apnoea patients

- Herceptin for cancer patients

There are clinical justifications for all of these things and lack of prompt treatment and use can be life threatening.

However, they are not freely and prompt;y available through the NHS. Either there are long delays or they are not available at all. Either way the patient pays if they don't have private insurance or goes without.

I would not describe this as a service which is free at the point of delivery.

No I wouldn't. Economies of scale are relevant to purchasing, certain kinds of manufacturing and production. They are not relevant to healthcare in terms of delivery and other countries take that view.

Trusts would be relevant if they operated totally outside of government intervention and control

Reply to
Andy Hall

On Wed, 19 Jul 2006 08:13:00 +0100, June Hughes wrote (in article ):

You haven't seen me firing people.....

Reply to
Andy Hall

On Wed, 19 Jul 2006 08:22:20 +0100, June Hughes wrote (in article ):

That's the old technology way of doing things....

Actually, I seldom sit on my backside in front of my computer. Normally it is sitting on my knees and I am travelling around.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Following up to Andy Hall

of exceptional cases.

Reply to
The Reid

Was that the one who had photographs of breasts hung up on the walls with a wonderbra?

Maybe it's the heat.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

..

..

IME freely and promptly available. I've never had a problem getting them - and I test quite a lot.

Type 2s may have to pay a prescription charge, and for their other meds. Annual prepayment would seem to cover that.

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

In message , Andy Hall writes

Is that what they are doing? How quaint. Can you prove it? If you stop saying things like that, people may start to take notice.

Reply to
June Hughes

In message , Andy Hall writes

Oh! So you fire people do you? Humph! You seem to have an awful lot of time to spend spouting on Usenet. Put your money where your mouth is and get out there with your campaign instead of posting here.

Reply to
June Hughes

In message , Andy Hall writes

Ah! So you are a travelling salesman, are you? I would have thought you would have something better to do with your time on the train, plane, bus or whatever you travel on.

Reply to
June Hughes

You're not STILL banging on about her?

If things don't change they'll stay as they are :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

It's a strange mentality which thinks there's a cure for cancer.

My cancer was treated successfully (no-one can claim a cure with authority and a guarantee), several years ago. I've survived. A Band-Aid never went anywhere near me.

I doubt that a Band-Aid will go anywhere near Spouse during his cancer treatment.

You've shown that there's something else you don't know about.

Reply to
Mary Fisher

You've been reading the papers again.

Herceptin is a very specific drug which is used on certain patients who might benefit in certain types of cancer. It's not a general cancer drug. It's not even a general breast cancer drug.

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Rubbish.

Most Type 2s are old enough to have zero cost for prescriptions.

Type 1 patients don't pay for treatments at any age - well, they don't in our family and I doubt that we're exceptional.

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Type 2s don't pay anyway, no diabetic does in the UK...

Reply to
William Black

The message from "Mary Fisher" contains these words:

Which is why that fuss about it a few months ago was so stupid. Many of those screaming for it were not in the group for which it is indicated.

Reply to
Guy King

Following up to Mary Fisher

please don't mention banging, with my age and the heat.

Reply to
The Reid

Following up to Mary Fisher

best wishes to him, Mary.

Reply to
The Reid

So, Andy, about those blood glucose testing strips then?

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George