How do you open a NEC 20WGX2 flatscreen monitor?

Having read all this, I'm now a bit happier that my monitor has an external PSU. What I'm looking at is running a socket from 12V Molex to the back panel of the PC and supplying the monitor from there. It'd get rid of the brick and also move the PC's PSU in to its efficient band. The PSU is a Seasonic 330W; it runs at 45W input at idle and never more than 120W on full load, so it should be able to supply 3A to the monitor.

I wonder if, with a monitor that has an internal PSU, if it'd be possible to remove the borked PSU and just use the PC's PSU. Not flexible, as the monitor would be linked to the PC, but perhaps a jack socket on the monitor would allow it to be run from a brick instead.

Reply to
PeterC

In article , Jethro writes

Dig it back out, Farnell are currently doing no min order and no post on web orders (although you have to get right through registration and checkout to see the delivery (non) charge, most annoying).

Reply to
fred

External? I thought the IPS 20WGX2 used an Integrated PSU?

If the NEC input is DC 12V it is then a matter of connector polarity. The last monitor I had with external 12V brick was an AOC.

If the PSU is external, try a PSU from wherever - Ebay, online.

Depends on what output the PSU has, they may have used an external 12V brick with other DC-2-DC internally.

Reply to
js.b1

In message , The Natural Philosopher writes

Oooh, I quite like that, sort of construction chic.

Reply to
Clint Sharp

That's like saying that gravity isn't relevant any more.

Reply to
Steve Walker

Sorry for the silence, I've been away, but have just paddled through the ange grinder junk and read a few promising leads to the actual question in hand, so thanks to those giving useful answers... gawd there's enough spam from the nutters on here and now it looks as if i'll have to add angle grinders to my junk filter.

My 20WGX2 (its from NEC, don't know what IPS is) runs direct off 240V, but I think we have some confusion here with a dead Dell. Do you have actual experience of the NEC 20WGX2 ? I'm prety sure there are no screws involved, certainly none visible, just a clamshell with a very tight and neat join line, and no metalwork near it.

I'll try again tomorrow with the suggestions above and report back.

Phil

Reply to
Phil Addison