Melamine Restoration

I'm looking to touch up one of my worktops which has been badly burnt by a pan (ie the missus). Some of the damage will probably see me down to chipboard when preparing the job. I've looked into the topic and I'm confident that with patience I can tackle it if I can find the right colour match. A lot of 'melamine' paints I've seen around seem limited in thier range of colour so I'm wondering if there's an approach I can try that involves using paints not specifically designed for use with melamine (model paints such as enamel for example) and still achieve a convincing effect. I won't need large amounts of paint if just restoring this area so if I can save money by doing so then all the better.

I think the repair would be rather obvious and not look good. Why not glue some heat proof tiles there? It's clearly a good place to put a hot pan :)

Ronseal melamine paint is specifically NOT recommended for worktops
A development of matty's idea maybe to use a router to cut out the damaged area to the depth of a ceramic tile + adhesive or for a stainless steel plate with a piece of heat proof board under and make a pan standing area.
If you could get the stainless joggled/flanged there would be a lip to cover the edge of the melamine but thats perhaps more trouble than replacing the worktop
Regards

Thanks for the suggestions. I had thought about this before but infortunately it's also the obvious place to chop stuff too and I don't think our landlord would be too happy with the result. I guess replacing the wortop is the best option. What a headache.
On 1 Oct, 19:31, Chris_W wrote:

Ooops.
Could you stick some sticky-back-plastic over it the day before you move out and hope you get your deposit back before the landlord notices?
Owain
In message

I don't think there is a lot special about the 'Melamine' paints. I suspect they are a repackaging of existing products really. I painted some melamine kitchen doors a few years back with Dulux Satinwood using one of these liquid wipe on primer type things (forget the name now).
It was fine on the doors, but I don't imagine it would wear very well on a worktop.
--
Chris French

Oooops indeed. Maybe a chopping board, or a pan will do the trick...
If you have contents insurance, it may well be covered.
Painting is not likely to work, replacing the worktop however is :-(