How do I install these anchors?

Following on from my washing line thread. I need to put in 2 'loops' on each end to connect my line/pulley to

I was thinking these

look pretty solid.

Is it a case of drilling the whole and whacking them in? do they expand at the back when they go in?

ANyone know if you can buy them so the loop is a proper full circle and what they are called? and are they available in singles at b and q?

finally, will that hold the load of a long washing line?

Reply to
mo

I should think that 8mm one would be quite sufficient. The metal sleeve opens up and grips the inside of the fixing hole when you tighten the nut. The more you tighten the nut the tighter it gets, but if you are bothered about 'vertical' pull out, you could always angle the drill hole downward a bit . Not sure what the drill size is for this: Screwfix says its marked on the side but helpfully doesn't mention it in the spec. It would have to be a decent masonary drill bit, and you might need to drill a smaller hole first and then work your way up depending on how hard your masonary is. You don't need a closed eye so long as you get the gap at the top and the gap is not really likely to be as wide as your pulley unless you specify a hook rather than an eye. See the Screwfix version doesn't show a gap:

wood you'd probably get away with a vine eye:
which you can drill a pilot hole narrower than the thread, and then screw in by putting a big nail or screwdriver through the eye and winding it in (that's what's holding my washing line up.)

spamlet

They can be in a good wall.

Drill hole, insert and tighten the nut. They expand in the wall.

Not looked sorry...

Yup - probably at a higher price than a ten pack from SF or TS.

Easily.

Reply to
John Rumm

mo pretended :

M8 should be perfectly adequate.

You drill the hole, push them in, than as you tighten them up the expand and grip the sides of the hole. Tighten up too much and it is possible to split the brick.

You don't actually need them to go full circle, just fit the gap at the top.

M8 is what I used last weekend for the same purpose - it has a 30m horizontal line fixed to a post at the far end. At the near end it has a pulley with 60 Lb of weight pulling on the bottom of it to keep the line taught - hung from the M8 eye bolt. I would expect the wall to give before the eye bolt.

FYFI I am looking to replace the poly rope with 3mm stainless rope. 3mm stainless steel wire rope is rated at a breaking strain of > 720Kg.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

In message , Harry Bloomfield writes

Reply to
Bill

What are you washing Harry: radiation suits; armour?! (Perhaps the line could double as a squirrel launcher...)

Surely it would have been much easier and tidier just to loop the line round a cleat!

spamlet

Hanging up his old BSA to dry?

;-)

spamlet

The tension in a near horizontal line supporting something at 90 degrees to that line is *much* higher than the weight of the object being supported. Vectors etc...

With the line being 15 degrees from horizontal the tension in the line is roughly double that of the weight being supported. It rises rapidly as that angle decreases at, 10 degrees it's about 3 times the weight.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice