How can a wrongly addressed email get delivered?

My correct email address ends @tiscali.co.uk, yet I received one last week which ended in @NOSPAMtiscali.co.uk

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

All you saw was the To: line in the headers, not the 'envelope', which may have had the correct address.

I can imagine a bulk spam mailer looking at the addresses it's given and copying them directly into the To: line, but stripping out stuff such as NOSPAM before constructing the envelope address.

Reply to
Bob Eager

I got a parcel the other day delivered to the correct address as appeared on the label. But only after the delivery person had tried to deliver it to our old company address and had rung us up to ask us where we are now located. Yes - it was in black and white right in his hands.

Amazing how some things get through. :-)

Reply to
polygonum

I think it was spam, so that seems to be what happened - I have the NOSPAM as part of my email address on several websites.

Thanks..

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

The domain nospamtiscali.co.uk does exist. Maybe the person who's on the other end of it forwards all stuff received to "other" addresses back to the real tiscali equivalent?

What do the message headers say?

Reply to
Adrian

Harry Bloomfield :

If you want to avoid spammers harvesting your e-mail address from web sites, you have to try a *lot* harder than that.

But it's much too late now, for that address anyway.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

Blind carbon copy at work perhaps?

Brian