House rewiring

I was delighted to get rid of a Baxi Buggerit back boiler and fire and replace it with bookshelves.

Women also seem to object to wiring looms in neat horizontal and vertical runs, but happy to have bibelots in random patterns over every horizontal surface.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

60-100 seconds:

Tim Watts

While I agree Harry's claim was nonsense I think semi-enclosed fuses to BS3036 are a bit slower than that: AIUI four times the rated current should blow in less than 1 second; twice the rated current in about 100. See eg

or

Robin

I have a fully-populated 12-way plugged into a single socket behind the equipment rack. I've never taken the trouble to work out the loading because it's obviously, as you say, nothing like 13 amps.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

It's not intended to save lives. It's intended to stop the tenants calling me up in the middle of the night when they blow a fuse.

I agree that an RCD would be good. That's the next change on the list.

Reply to
GB

Whooooooosh! The whole point is that they do know how to push a switch.

Reply to
GB

Right. So about a second at four times the rated loading. Not quite half an hour.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

This one does,

F Murtz

I've made all our inaccessible sockets accessible by plugging 4-way (individually switched) trailing extension leads in, and hiding under the offending furniture when not in use. Makes hoovering 10x easier :)

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Hoovering? Not much chance of that here. :-)

Mike Barnes

Yes, and the rated lifetime of PVC cable is only 20 years - when run 24/7 a t max load, and at rated ambient temperature. Unsurprisingly, it lasts quit e a lot longer in normal conditions.

I replaced my old fuse board with a new CU/RCD/MCBS a few years ago. The wi ring was nearly 30 years old, the IR was fine, and there were only two thin gs wrong: a broken ring main CPC, due to a loose terminal in a socket (had probably never been done properly), and the undersized CPC - it was 1mm, wh ich happens to be fine with MCBs, but doesn't satisfy the adiabatic eqn wit h rewirables.

That's the wire. I replaced plenty of socket fascias.

Reply to
bblaukopf

If something blows a fuse then you need to find out why! They tend not to trip as easy as mcbs.

Reply to
dennis

twaddle.

Reply to
John Rumm

TLC have it in their catalogue, although listed as low smoke. Perhaps that's the standard. It's about 45% more tha the grey.

Reply to
charles

only a problem on spurs, or 2.5mm^2 branches from 4.00mm^2 radials.

Reply to
John Rumm

The main reason that rewireables are deprecated for tenanted properties is that they allow the unskilled and otherwise less caring of the properties wellbeing alter the rating of the fuses.

Reply to
John Rumm

Try this as a thought experiment:

Its 11pm, your tenant has just rang to say they turned the hall light on, and now all the lights have gone out. You have a choice of talking a technically clueless person through:

1) Finding the circuit breaker with the popped out button, and telling them to push it

or

2) pulling out a fuse carrier, finding a screwdriver, finding some fuse wire, get them to work out which is the 5A, now talk them through wiring the carrier (in the dark), and replacing the fuse.

I would contest that 1 is far simpler for all involved.

Reply to
John Rumm

You have to smile at the mastery of understatement that comes with instructions like:

"Do not use the cable. Discontinue use immediately and return the product to the place of purchase for a full refund or replacement. "

Especially if its been chopped into lots of bits, installed and covered over and to make matters worse you can't easily identify which bits are this stuff, or another unaffected brand.

Reply to
John Rumm

My honest opinion is that Uncle Peter cannot be as incredibly stupid as he makes out. He's bored and lonely. So, he sits at home and trolls on Usenet.

Reply to
GB

Or you could just ignore it since it has words like "possibly" and "potential".

Reply to
Uncle Peter