House rendering guide needed

Hi, I want to render the outside of my house but have no real idea about how to go about this. I have read various faqs etc and have picked up bits and pieces but am really looking for a complete guide about how to go about this.

The house is 130 yrs old, a two up two down cottage with extension. The walls have been messed about with over the years, with patches and filled in windows making it look messy. Its solid enough and water proof but looks a sight so I thought I would cover it up with a nice render. I was thinking about a smooth (ish) render, not pebble dash, and was hoping someone could point me to a step by step guide, faq or book which will take me from preparation to finished product.

Thanks for the help Ggliff, in highland Scotland

Reply to
ggliff

You need to understand the construction of the cottage before choosing the render. If it uses lime mortar between the brick or stone, then you need a lime mortar based render. A Portland cement render would hold moisture in. Conversely if the cottage is cement-based then a lime mortar may not adhere properly.

Reply to
Mike