House Builders Bible

We're trying to plan out and price up an extension and as a starter for ten I've been looking through "The House Builders Bible" by Mark Brinkley. It's a good read if for no other reason but the little rants he has. I have a sixth edition so I realise the cost tables might be a bit wrong, but making allowances for inflation should at least help a bit.

At least that's what I thought. I calculated some costs and then got a builder in to quote. There are some unknowns at the moment but the builder came out over double the price I'd calculated. Even allowing for the inflation and the builders margin it still seemed waaaay out. So I wondered if the tables etc aren't really applicable to extensions.

I see that the seventh edition has a chapter on Extensions. Has anyone used either edition to help cost up an extension? Is it worth getting the seventh edition solely for the chapter on extensions? I am looking to manage the build myself doing some of the work myself, and pulling in tradesmen direct when needed.

Thanks Painters10

Reply to
Painters10

Unless you have a preferred builder that you plan to use regardless of price then you should get at least 3 quotations from reputable builders. Make sure that they are providing a quote against a written scope of work and specification. With the current building industry conditions in the UK you are in a good position to get good prices and I suggest that you should not be afraid to negotiate.

-- Nige Danton

Reply to
Nige Danton

Get another 3 quotes off builders and then see how they compare.

Reply to
mogga

Work out the square meterage of the footprint (not the floor area) IE, the length from outside wall to outside wall and times it by 1000 for a rough estimate for extensions, then add on any drains, manholes etc that may need replacing / re-routing.

Reply to
Phil L

In message , Painters10 writes

IIRC Mark is (or was) a poster on the uk_selfbuild list, maybe get a reply from the horses mouth?

Reply to
chris French