House airbricks and conservatory base

Hi,

I am thinking of putting a conservatory on to the back of my house, and am wondering how I am going to keep the use of my airbricks. The house has a suspended floor, with 3 airbricks across the back wall of the house. I want to put a base down for the conservatory, but this will involve blocking two of the airbricks. Can I put some form of ducting through the concreate base of the conservatory to enable air to still pass through the airbricks, or do I need to build some form of suspended floor for the conservatory, and place further airbricks in the outer wall of the conservatory base ?

Hope this make sense to you...

Paul..

Reply to
Wordy

Either solution is acceptable.

I used the suspended floor solution, although this was mainly because it would have been extremely difficult to get sufficient concrete in for a conventional base, as I have a mid-terraced house with no rear access and access through the house would have precluded wheelbarrows.

Christian McArdle

On 14 Jul 2004 03:12:05 -0700, a particular chimpanzee named snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Wordy) randomly hit the keyboard and produced:

Run 100mm diameter pipes under the concrete slab to telescopic vents in the external wall.

If yo have a suspended (timber) floor for the conservatory, there should be at least 150mm clear air space between the underside of the joists and the top of the concrete oversite. Your external ground level should be no higher than your oversite, otherwise you run the risk of water collecting under the floor.

Reply to
Hugo Nebula

When I did a simiar thing in my house we used 4 inch frain pipes to duct the air bricks under the floor. You get into issues with cavity trays and stuff in the cavity of the new wall.

Rick

Reply to
Rick Dipper