Bluesky thinking

There I was, watering the newly sown seeds (wild flower hedgerow mixture), gazing up at the blue sky and pondering, like you do, on whether if I stood there in the same place, hose in hand, 24/7 for three weeks, might the house start to tilt as only that area of soil became saturated?

MM

Reply to
Mike Mitchell

It'd take longer than three weeks but yes, if the ground got wet enough the house would sink, depending upon the composition of the soil)

Obviously if the foundations are built on bedrock it won't sink.

sPoNiX

Reply to
sPoNiX

If you are on clay it might rise as the clay expands. The water will of course travel horizontally through the soil over that kind of extended period of time, resulting in at least some wetting of the surrounding soil. If you stand in the same place 24/7 for 3 weeks then you might well think the house is tilting. However, you would need at least one independant opinion :-) Also, if the soil is of the right consistency you could create a quicksand and sink from view forever. Make sure you don't try this at home if you are on a water meter.

Reply to
David W.E. Roberts

It's okay. I've turned the water off now. It's starting to rain anyway...

MM

Reply to
Mike Mitchell

You might get wet feet, and your seeds might suffer damping-off.

Reply to
MAILER-DAEMON