Hot Batteries

A neighbour called me to tell me she had put new batteries in her CO2 / smoke alarm and they were getting hot! I went to look and as you can guess they had been fitted wrong - but I was really surprised by the amount of heat they generated. (3 xAA)

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Has the manufacturer never heard of a series diode?

Of course provided the design could cope with a 1.2 volt voltage drop, one could fit a bridge and then it would not matter which way around it was. Brian Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Some stuff has one connected so that it's normally reverse biased, and shorts out a battery connected the wrong way. The fuse is optional, but costs more.

That would mean that you would either need an extra cell, or would have a much reduced useful life from the ones you put in.

Reply to
John Williamson

I wouldn't be surprised, not after putting the two AA batteries into a Lidl torch and finding it didn't work. By the time I got back to the shop (about 5 minutes) it was melting the plastic bits. Next time I will remember to take the batteries out.

Reply to
dennis

Please bottom post, especially if you have a signature with "--" in a preceding line.

It is possible to use a modest MOSFET, which can combine a diode and a low resistance switch, to reduce any voltage drop to near zero.

The old fashioned method was simply to have a battery housing which fails to make contact when batteries are put in backwards.

Reply to
Fredxx

If you want to get revenge then just post a link to a picture..........................

Reply to
ARW

Are you new here? Brian top posts for a very good reason.

Reply to
polygonum

Those who know about Brian's blindness excuse him from the usual rigours on top posting, as he uses a screen reader.

Reply to
John Williamson

For one I wasn't aware of Brian blindness. But it's a shame that whatever news client he uses makes it difficult to bottom post.

It has it's consequences, especially as Brian uses "--" in his signature thereby removing any of the OP's original post when replying with most news clients.

There are also those die-hards who refuse to reply to anyone who top posts!!

Reply to
Fredxx

He has been buggering around with his sig in the last few days.

Reply to
ARW

No - it's because he uses "-- ".

Die-hards can do what they like.

Reply to
polygonum

On your way out of Lidl you might have noticed a clear plastic bin for customers to put their depleted batteries in for WEEE compliance or whatever. Am I alone in thinking there is a potential fire risk if or more good lithium or alkaline batteries got in there, perhaps a couple of 9V types. Optionally add a little wire wool and tissue paper and stir slowly.

Reply to
Graham.

Makes note - dennis is unable to correctly fit a pair of AA batteries into a torch.

Reply to
ARW

It was probably a torch designed for a couple of D cells.

Reply to
Jules Richardson

To be fair, Brian's sig does mention the fact - but it took me a while to realise because I never read sigs either...

Reply to
Tim Watts

Brian is allowed as he's like Pew.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

You too?

Reply to
Graham.

Wooden :-?

Reply to
fred

Does that include not reading his new sig that does not mention the fact?

Reply to
ARW

Dunno - I never read sigs ;->>>

Reply to