Hinges that work in two directions - special name?

I want a joint that can be flexed in two directions at right angles to each other. In principle I could do this using two hinges with one plate of one hinge fixed at right angles to one plate of the other.

Is there a 'ready made' piece of hardware that can do this? If so, what is it called?

I don't want a ball joint because movement in all directions isn't necessary and a ball joint generally won't allow 90 degrees (or more) of flexion like a hinge.

The device I want would allow me to fix a bar to a surface and swing it 180 degrees in two planes (at 90 degrees to each other).

Reply to
cl

Like a saloon door hinge? Sometimes called a cafe door hinge?

Nick

Reply to
Nick Odell

No, that's just 180 degrees in one plane, I want 180 degrees in two planes. I probably don't really need the full 180 degrees, just the sort of arc a normal hinge can manage, but in two planes.

Reply to
cl

er... Can't you just secure 2 conventional hinges together?

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I did say in my original description "... I could do this using two hinges with one plate of one hinge fixed at right angles to one plate of the other", I was just looking/hoping for a neater solution.

Reply to
cl

This sort of thing?

Lee

Depending what you want to do with it ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

That would possibly do what I want, thanks.

Reply to
cl

That's just about *exactly* what I'm after, however the price is a bit OTT. I need 16 (or maybe 24) of them which would add up to something like £800. However maybe 'dual axis hinge' is something to search for.

Thank you.

If anyone can come up with a cheaper version of the above I'd be very grateful.

Reply to
cl

How about a gimbal set?

Roger Mills

Sounds like a universal joint, but one where the rotation has been stopped by bolting it down, so to speak. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Its something like the old joysticks that controlled models used to have. Gimbals I think they used to be called. One ring inside the other with right angled pins that rotated with the stick sticking out of the middle at 90 degrees.

Very few would go 180 degrees though before hitting the frame.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

If you need that many a light engineering company would make you some. Or even a DIYer! The design could be extremely simple. I'm nothing special in this area but if I wanted something like that I'd just go ahead and make it.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Yes, I probably will do that, I can do (simple) welding etc. The design/shape of the 'dual axis hinge' is one that I hadn't really thought of for the thing I'm trying to do and it lends itself fairly easily to DIY because it's basically simple and robust with no really nasty stress concentrated bits.

Reply to
cl

I guess the main reason for the price of the commercial ones is the friction/torque aspect, from your description of a moveable bar I thought this might be relevant. If it isn't and a "free" hinge is ok then they look like they should(!) be DIY-able... :)

Lee

Reply to
Lee

I do need some friction but it may well be by tightening a wing nut or similar, the chances of getting it just right otherwise are negligable.

Reply to
cl

I had this problem. I made 30mm dia rubber washers from 1/16" rubber sheet, and sandwiched each of them between smooth 35mm washers. One of each pair of washers was tack weled at the very edge to one arm and the other of the pair to the other arm. I adjusted the tension then set it by locking two nuts together. This was for something in frequent use and it has stayed OK for many years.

On a smaller scale I have just made some adjustable brackets for the headlights for my wife's disability machine. Since these would not be adjusted often I simply used nuts, bolts, serrated washers, and locktite.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

My desk lamp has the provision sought. Plastic tubular *T* with a double yoke trapping the T top. The leg fits into a split sleeve which is itself retained by a slot in the lamp arm.

I guess this was purpose made for Anglepoise so not much help to the OP.

Reply to
Tim Lamb