Hedgehogs

Has anyone ever used a hedgehog in a gutter?

a good idea but I wonder whether it really works, or if it just traps small stuff more efficiently, causing even more of a problem....

Reply to
GMM

A quick google shows an amazon link... and amazon's always worth a look because people leave reviews. See for example:

are just for one particular seller. There are others... I'm quite tempted though I live in a very windy place which is slightly worrying - I wouldn't want these giant pipecleaner-like objects blowing off. The hh website does say that one can cable-tie them on, though.

I sometimes wonder what we all did before cable-ties were invented.

Google also showed (inevitably) competing products eg "porcupipe".

Reply to
Jeremy Nicoll - news posts

I would suspect they would sludge up

Reply to
Rick Hughes

Maybe you ought to ask the hedgehog if it minds being used as a gutter brush. It might get very prickly at the thought.

Reply to
Davey

GMM pretended :

I cannot see it being really any more effective than the GutterGuard mesh which clips over your gutter to keep the leaves out. Its a 3/8" plastic mesh in several metres long rolls and now sells for a £1 in the pound shops.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

I used this in the US, and it was great. There, it came in 2-foot long sections that slid under the flexible roof tiles, and snapped onto the gutter front edge. We had lots of trees that dropped helicopter seeds, and it worked against them.

--=20 Davey.

Reply to
Davey

> which are just for one particular seller. There are others...

In fact of all the 14 posted reviews there are none which says it doesn't work (though a large number of them just say it 'looks like it will work OK" or words to that effect). I'm tempted too, actually.

David

Reply to
Lobster

Installed the first long runs (close to trees) three years ago then the remainder of the property last year. Splendid stuff, I have not had to remove it and give it a shake yet - that is the way to clear it should the wind and rain not do it for you. Just stick a hose in each run every couple of years to flush the grit away. Comes in 4 metres lengths which are very easy to install. The only 'problem' is that lumps of moss tend to roll down the roof, hit the hedgehog and bounce off on to the pathways and drive.

If you are not convinced you may want to do what I did - pick a run or two of guttering that is the most prone to blockage, fit a couple of lengths and see what it looks like a year or so later.

-- rbel

Reply to
rbel

Davey used his keyboard to write :

Lidl or Aldi sold it in rolls, packed in a box, with several plastic clips to keep it in place. The pound shops then started to sell it without the box - not sure whether they included and clips though. It is just a flexible plastic mesh.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

The ones I used in the US were basically solid stiff pieces.

--=20 Davey.

Reply to
Davey

It isn't going to stop the sandy residue from entering the gutters, and will in my opinion then make things worse as it will reduce the flow. Brushes like this are used in pond filters to trap suspended solids...

Besides which, who has masses of baby tomatoes rolling down their roof.

Reply to
www.GymRatZ.co.uk