Heatloss of small terrace house 6.5kW ?

Page 2 of 2
John Stumbles wrote:

It seems a tad on the high side to me.
I have 200 sq meters here (100 meters sq per floor) and that was calculated at a shade over 9KW. But insulation is to specs.
you have 70 sq meters of floor roughly, so you are calculating 100W per square meter more or less. That's about double what I need. Which seems reasonable for solid or unisulated walls and floors. And single glazing.
Anyway, even a small boiler will do 10Kw in all probability, so just bunf one in and let the thermostats take care of the rest.

Victorian terraces are actually quite good on energy conservation, despite the lack of insulation and cavities and old leaky windows. This is because the "external" walls are primarily party walls, with only thin slivers of genuine cold outside walls at the front and back. The worst parts are the rear extensions.
The survey SAP rating on mine when I moved was good, despite no insulation (other than the roof) and single glazed sashes at the back. It is a 3 bedroom Edwardian (Victorian style) mid terrace.
I calculated my losses to be around 8.4kW, but this is probably higher than most would calculate, as I calculated the lounge and dining room at 22C and bedrooms at 20C. This is for an outside temperature of -3C.
Christian.
P.S. Have you finished that bathroom yet, John? The old Glowworm Fuelsaver has started making a funny noise.
On Tue, 6 Jan 2004 10:43:08 -0000, "Christian McArdle"

They do.... you're living on borrowed time ;-)

.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl