Heated towel rail in bathroom, builder told me never to switch it off

...as it also functions as a safety device if the boiler overheats.

This is the one "radiator" in the house that does not have a TRV.

Several other residents with the same CH system were told the same.

I can't find anything on the internet,

MM

Reply to
MM

Google "CH bypass valve" for a basic idea of the situation.

Reply to
Ericp

You wouldn't want a situation where all your rads were shut off and there was zero flow through the boiler. Sometimes there is a dedicated bypass to prevent this. In your case the towel rail serves this purpose.

It is also normal practice not to put a TRV on the rad heating the area where a thermostat lives.

Reply to
Graham.

Okay, thanks.

MM

Reply to
MM

I vaguely recall reading that if all rads have a TRV, and they all go closed, your boiler could be fired up with nowhere to go.

I've got 2 towel rads, and reused a rad from the bathroom in the porch which doesn't have a TRV.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Ah, good one! Thanks.

MM

Reply to
MM

So the bathroom explodes if there is a fault then. How quaint.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff