Heat resistant board for behind wood burning stove??

We have a wood burning stove, that gets incredibly hot, ithas cracked all the plaster behind it. I want to fit some sort of heat resistant board to the wall behind and paint it the same colour as the wall.

Can anyone suggest a good material for this purpose ?

Cheers

Iain

Reply to
Iain A Gilroy

Think reflective.

Reply to
Tony Williams

Steel over cement fibre board, or just cement fibre board if the heat isn't too bad. I use Viroc Versapanel. Use a steel overlay if there's a risk of mechanical damage, as these cement boards are soft and I think they soften further when hot.

Paint it with something heat resistant, which limits your colour options. Any paint that tries to match the wall colour will discolour.

As a rule of thumb, woodstoves should be 30" away from walls. You can halve this if the wall is heat resistant (i.e. steel clad) or the stove is a double-walled box stove with convector walls.

Another trick for stoves in small spaces is to build a brick wall close to the stove, with the bottom course honeycombed for air circulation. This allows very close spacing, reduces radiant heat but stores heat from a cold stove and gives some convective heat. Not a good idea for rapid warmth, short usage or high ceilings, but it can be a useful improvement if you want warmth overnight.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

My parents had a similar problem and got round it by having two thick slates each with a semi circle cut-out to fit round the flue + mounted an inch off the wall. Works well and looks nice I thought.

Reply to
Jon Telfer

I used viroc, which is a cement based board. Ask in the local builders merchant, esp if you are in an area where open fires are common.

Rick

Reply to
Rick