Heat resistant board?

Hi All,

Can someone tell me if it's possible to buy something to protect my dining room table from the heat of a blowtorch (about 1300c). Like some sort of board I can put on the table, that reflects the heat, or insulates it, or something :-)

I've heard of something called aerogel..

but that's probably a bit too high tech not to mention a bit too high priced! :-)

Thanks!

Rob

Reply to
Rob[UK]

I've heard of hot curries...

It really depends on how long and how often you are going to be doing this.

A sheet of hardboard (to protect the table top) with a few paving slabs or breeze blocks on top is one idea. You can even use them to build a little refractory oven on the table to minimise gas use. Plasterboard is pretty good for short term use - but you may need several layers with air gaps, for a good fry-up.

The laser has gone defective then, Mr Goldfinger?

Reply to
Palindrome

The idea of putting hardboard and paving slabs on the dining table amuses me! I think i would get a rocket for even suggesting it!

I suppose it depends on how big the blowtorch is, if you are doing a modelmaking/instrument/electronic job its only a small area, and you would get away with the hardboard and an old dinner plate?

If its much bigger i would suggest using other than the dining table, iether a steel topped bench (i mean 1/4 inch plate, or a proper forge, in other words a bucket of coke, tin of charcoal or similar appropriate to the job. If its a big hot job you should think about the ventilation as well as the fire potential, and any funny fumea from what you are cooking!

John

Reply to
John

John and Sue,

My plans for world domination have been put on hold until I get this laser under control :-)

No really, I was at a craft show recently and someone was giving a demo using a gas blowtorch soldering something using a white block of some sort. It was about an inch thick, maybe thicker and about 6in square. The metal he heated up was glowing red, yet he picked up the small block in his hand, with no gloves.

I wish I could have got close enough to ask him what it was, but no chance, I was being dragged away.....

Rob

Reply to
Rob[UK]

Sounds like the Space Shuttle Tile stuff..Manufactured in Cornwall, IIRC.

Reply to
Palindrome

Go to any builders merchant and ask for a broken sheet of the board they use behind aga's, stoves, chimnleys etc, can't recall exactly what it's called now,

It's a white fibre type board, pretty heavy and quite brittle, hence they always have sheets with corners broken off,

Reply to
Gazz

Who makes the glue that holds/ should hold them on? I hope that is not a UK product.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Try this one Rob:

The old foundrymen (my Grandad for one) used to have all sorts of wierd recipies for crucibles and so forth, you might be able to find some in libraries (old engineering books, and especially "Molesworths Pocket Book for Engineers", published in various guises from about 1890 to 1930 ish if you can find one, or google! Some of Fred Dibnahs writing and broadcasting can give you an idea too.

Cheers

John

Reply to
John