Headlamp height

While there may be regulations for the height of tail lights etc, that really doesn't matter at all. The height of headlamps however is crucial. i.e. the height from the road to the middle of the headlamp. Granted that the headlamp should point downwards to some extent, but if it's incredibly high, say on a truck behind a car, if the headlamp is the same height or higher than a car's interior rear vision mirror, the driver will be blinded by the light. My rear vision mirror in a quality British car is 1100mm high (around

43"). Why on earth are headlamps allowed to be higher than 1100mm, anywhere in the world? Is there any conceivable vehicle used on a public road that cannot have its headlamps lower than 1100mm? Please give reasons.
Reply to
Matty F

Tractors with loaders on the front.

Reply to
dennis

Tailgating me at night at 100kph? I don't think so.

Reply to
Matty F

It's not unusual your regs could be the same as the UK where the limits are 500 - 1200mm. It's often the case that 'styling' considerations override the retinas of other road users.

The Other Mike

My 15 year old BMW has an auto dimming rear mirror. Ace.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The first time I bought a car with one of these I thought "Oh, yeah?"

But actually they are, as Dave says, ace.

Reply to
Huge

Agreed, my last two cars had diming rear mirror, current car has dimming door mirrors too.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Ah, but does it auto dim the side mirrors ?

Reply to
Jethro

One of those tractors used for working over fields of tall-growing stuff?

Reply to
Clive George

New BMWs come with a built-in feature to dim the driver ;-)

Reply to
Jules Richardson

Those normally have roof lamps for actual off road work.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

In message , "dennis@home" writes

I believe it is illegal to use *working lights* for road use.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Aren't BMW drivers already dim?

Baz

Reply to
Baz

Not any more. Audi has taken that crown.

Reply to
Huge

and Mercs

Reply to
Hugh - Was Invisible

Those who make comments like this are best to state which makes they drive. So we can all have a good laugh...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

+1

(not a BMW, TG)

Reply to
Bob Eager

My car has one, I but I don't use it much for the same reason that I wouldn't wear tinted spectacles for night driving. Yes it's more comfortable when someone behind dazzles you, but dimming the mirror might render that unlit bicycle about to undertake you invisable.

I can switch it off on this vehicle, I had to resort to bluetack in the sensor on the last one.

Reply to
Graham.

Not the same thing. 'Tinted specs' would reduce your vision regardless of the ambient light. The mirror reacts to bright lights falling on it. And if those are dazzling you, you'll not see a less bright light source in it. And in any case, door mirrors are more use for bicycles.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

wear tinted

you invisable.

on the last one.

Mine's all manual. But the choice is between not seeing anything at all, because the top of the beam of the 4x4 behind is shining right in my eyes, or having restricted rear vision.

The wing mirrors aren't as bad as they are convex, so the light is dimmer. And that's where I see the bike.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ