Expanding paint in spray can?

Does anyone know of an expanding paint that is available in a spray can? I need something that is weatherproof, and will expand to fill and cover small cracks and holes in the painted surface.

Polyurethane foam expands way too much for my purposes, and I think it absorbs water, so it would not be suitable. I want something that is waterproof and only expands to a few mm thickness.

Thanks

Al

Reply to
AL_n

Not that expands, but car filler-primer aka 'body putty' is probably what you want BUT beware if using it over wood..it may swell and crack it.

Try a can from halfords..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The Natural Philosopher wrote in news:j4uvia$djt$ snipped-for-privacy@news.albasani.net:

Thanks, good suggestion, but it doesn't expand, so I'd have to spray on many many of coats to get sufficient build, which would be impractical and too costly.

Al

Reply to
AL_n

if the cracks are that big use a wood filler first.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

ACME Roadrunner Products Inc. make it. One drop expands to paint an entire canyon wall, in any colour or pattern you like, including train tunnels (with optional real surprise train), woodland and forest scenes, snowy landscapes and any of the Old Masters.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

:-)))

Reply to
ARWadsworth

There's always puff paint:

But I really don't think there is any such product. After all, a foam is never going to be as tough, waterproof, or pretty much anything else a paint needs to be, as a solid product. And how on earth are you going to get anything even approaching a smooth surface?

Reply to
polygonum

Possibly a little more information would help, for example what material you are planning to paint/fill, what is on there already and what area you have to cover. Also why it has to be a spray.

Long time ago when I maintained a clinker built sailing dinghy there was a thing called knife stopper which was a grey gunge which you applied with a knife (no sh*t Sherlock) and which filled dips and cracks, could be smoothed out quite well, and then sanded to take the finishing coats of paint and/or anti-fouling.

So, weatherproof and fills cracks.

I note that you seem to want to apply over a painted surface. Did you mean this, or do you want to apply before painting? If you want to apply over a previously painted surface then you will have to do at least some preparation, so if you are wire brushing, rubbing down and washing the surface you could also apply a filler by hand instead of spraying.

HTH

Dave R

Reply to
David WE Roberts