Has anyone heard of putting an asphalt roof on a block and beam construction?

I have been advised to do this as I may want to tile or turf over the top in the future.

I know nothing about asphalt roofing. It doesn't seem to be a DIY job as far as I can tell! Has anyone got any advice or alternatives?

Appreciate all help.

H.

Reply to
Howie

I've got a roof terrace which is a conversion from the original sloping tiled roof and it is asphalt on a plywood over joists construction. GRP reinforced concrete 'promenade' tiles on top. The exposed upstands of the asphalt need to be kept painted with the appropriate white paint to prevent melting in the sun.

It certainly looked rather a skilled job. ;-)

Dunno about alternatives. This was the only solution offered by the architect.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I'm replacing my flat garage roof right now.

150mm joists, 18mm plywood, several coats of bitumen paint, and pvc tiles.

See

is on sloping ground and the roof is almost level with the normal patio.

Reply to
Ziggur

|In article , | Howie wrote: |> I have been advised to do this as I may want to tile or turf over |> the top in the future. | |I've got a roof terrace which is a conversion from the original sloping |tiled roof and it is asphalt on a plywood over joists construction. GRP |reinforced concrete 'promenade' tiles on top. The exposed upstands of the |asphalt need to be kept painted with the appropriate white paint to |prevent melting in the sun. | |> I know nothing about asphalt roofing. It doesn't seem to be a DIY |> job as far as I can tell! Has anyone got any advice or |> alternatives? | |It certainly looked rather a skilled job. ;-) | |Dunno about alternatives. This was the only solution offered by the |architect.

Thanks Dave. Appreciate that. I'm just waiting for a quote from a local company. When I recover from that, - i'll post the results!

Cheers.

Reply to
Howie

And they let you walk on this?

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Nurse late with the medication again?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I don't know, as I don't know your nurse. She is incompetent as she allows you out.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

|In article , | Howie wrote: |> I have been advised to do this as I may want to tile or turf over |> the top in the future. | |I've got a roof terrace which is a conversion from the original sloping |tiled roof and it is asphalt on a plywood over joists construction. GRP |reinforced concrete 'promenade' tiles on top. The exposed upstands of the |asphalt need to be kept painted with the appropriate white paint to |prevent melting in the sun. | |> I know nothing about asphalt roofing. It doesn't seem to be a DIY |> job as far as I can tell! Has anyone got any advice or |> alternatives? | |It certainly looked rather a skilled job. ;-) | |Dunno about alternatives. This was the only solution offered by the |architect.

Thanks Dave,

I've just had a quote for an asphalt roof (26foot x 19foot) and it comes to approx £2000 inc vat. So, I will probably end up going the butyl-rubber, plastic membrane, then mortar and paving slabs route!

Cheers for now, H.

Reply to
Howie