Hardwood varnish, colour match?

I painted some exterior window frames and sills in the early summer using a Ronseal satin finish. I didn't want to cover up all signs of the original wood grain showing though, so went for a fairly light colour, but it had no real darkening effect on areas where the original finish was chipped so I ended with a patchy result. After this experience on one frame I touched in damaged areas with wood stain, which helped, but didn't totally solve the problem.

I have taken a photo of a "virgin" window sill, that is still in its original condition from when I bought the property. Anyone care to have a look and suggest the correct way of repainting? I do not really want to strip back to bare wood, the existing finish is very sound, but I think a dog has been jumping up and scratching parts with its nails. Thanks.

Pic is at

Chris Wilson