Grundfos UPS 15-60 pump - VIBRATION

When operating the above pump vibrates and of course the attached pipes also vibrate.As a result there is an overall background "hum" in the house. Is this normal or is there a problem with the pump?

Reply to
mtagrant

When operating the above pump vibrates and of course the attached pipes also vibrate.As a result there is an overall background "hum" in the house. Is this normal or is there a problem with the pump?

Reply to
mtagrant

Was the vibration always there?

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Mine vibrates from time to time, but it stopped for a few years after descaling the system. I think a build up of lime scale on the rotor has unbalanced it again.

john2

Reply to
john2

Hi, just moved in to the house in the past couple of weeks so not sure how long it has been there - most likely for some time. The house was pretty much empty for a number of months before we moved in

Reply to
mtagrant

Thanks.....was the descaling difficult and something you need a professional in to do, or can most people do it themselves?

Reply to
mtagrant

I drained the whole system and just did the boiler with Furnox abt 14 years ago which took around ten boiler-fulls of concentrated solution. The Furnox residue in the boiler probably cleared the rest of the system when it was refilled. I think they only do whole-system descaler these days which should be even better for the pump.

The water in this part of Essex is extremely hard. Tap spouts get completely choked after ten years, so your problem might be something else if the water's not so hard. You could always take the pump off and have a look.

john2

Reply to
john2