Grass Mower?

I have an allotment plot with pathway down the middle - about 100 ft in length and 2.5ft wide. At the moment it is just bear compacted earth with containing gravel boards running along the length on either side. I am thinking of grassing it over. But then I will need to mow it.

Would a simple light-weight pull/push mower do the job OK; or maybe a battery-powered machine?

I just want to keep the grass neat and tidy without it muddying up or anything.

Any suggestions/recommendations on what to buy?

Ed

Reply to
Ed

As long as the grass is above the boards, then a battery Flymo

Mike

Reply to
'Mike'

Otherwise, if it not above boards?

Reply to
Ed

You not recommend a simple push/pull mower?

Ed

Reply to
Ed

I mow a small lawn for an aged friend using a Qualcast push cylinder mower. It works well as long as the machine is kept in good order and you don't let the grass get too long. The only problem with hers is that the mower has side wheels which means I can't mow about three inches along the side of a wall and border. I have seen a rear roller version which would probably be better.

Mike

Reply to
MuddyMike

I have an allotment plot with pathway down the middle - about 100 ft in length and 2.5ft wide. At the moment it is just bear compacted earth with containing gravel boards running along the length on either side. I am thinking of grassing it over. But then I will need to mow it.

Would a simple light-weight pull/push mower do the job OK; or maybe a battery-powered machine?

I just want to keep the grass neat and tidy without it muddying up or anything.

Any suggestions/recommendations on what to buy?

Use bark chippings, gravel, slabs... anything but grass. Just my opinion.

Reply to
Bob Hobden

A bear gun? Sorry, Ed - facetious streak escaped me! How about a weed-proof membrane and gravel?

Reply to
Sacha

A strimmer?

Other mowers won't trim right to the edges and if you allow them to grow long, sooner or later the grass will escape from the gravel-board prison into adjoining soil. But you're just making more work, time and money better spent on the allotment itself imo. I'd rather recycle some free resource for the path, such as woodchips or old wool-on-canvas carpets upside down.

Janet

Reply to
Janet

and every time you step off the bare earth, especially if it is a bit wet, you pick up the gravel on your boots/shoes? :-(((

NO NO NO NO NO

Mike

Reply to
'Mike'

Forget chippings and gravel. Every time you step off the earth, especially if it is a bit wet, you bring the chippings or stones with you. Been there, done that, got rid of it.

Mike

Reply to
'Mike'

Have you contact Sarah Palin. I am sure she will come and shoot of for you.

I've don it with shears. At that level of patheticness

A pair of shears.

When you have an acre and a half to mow, then we will talk lawnmowers.

-- Faith moves mountains. Or you can use a Caterpillar.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Reportt it to the council I would say.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I not recommend you don't take class in basic English.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Guy is obviously a mentally retarded suburbanite.

Astroturf is the obvious solution.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It has got to be paving to get the yes yes yes yes - I would suggest. Regards Pete

Pete

Unless he puts down weed proof membrane he will get grass growing between the flags and have a bigger problem than he has now in getting it out. If the soil under the weed proof membrane becomes uneven as water runs into it from the surrounding beds, the paving stones will rock about accordingly, membrane or not. Without pointing between the flags, they'll be a trip hazard. Gravel, will accommodate itself to the shape of the ground, flagstones won't, except unevenly.

Reply to
Sacha

I think I would just leave it as bare earth.

Alan

Reply to
alan.holmes

Either of which just harbours slugs and snails. You can't really win.

Reply to
<vicky

Best to keep allotments quiet, and encourage bees. I would use a clover/wildflower mix and cut it back now and then with a sickle/grass hook. As long as you are quite a regular allotment goer, the growth should keep fairly short anyway.

Spamlet

Try about 5 cubes of ready-mix.

Reply to
1501