Re: Mower Doesn't Catch Grass

The current bagging system on MTD-made lawn mowers (Toro, Craftsman, Cub Cadet, Murray, Lawn Boy, etc..) simply does not bag grass. It does a great job of spewing grass under the bag and at the top connection point, everywhere but the bag. Trust me, in 3 days I bought a Toro, Cub Cadet, and a Craftsman just to prove the point to myself. They all are designed exactly the same at the bagging site. I settled on the cheaper Craftsman and will start looking for a "man hack" to fix the flawed design issue. Why did my 30-year oldnJohn Deere die on me??

Reply to
hankwylie1955

Why are you still bagging grass? Lawn experts have been saying for 20-30 years to let the clippings fall. They'll decompose, adding nutrients back into the soil.

Reply to
Jim Joyce

It's a feature, so you don't have to stop work over and over to empty the bag.

From the Minnesota Tribune.... "John Deere did not wear a mask, wear gloves, or wash his hands, and he later succombed to the coronavirus.

Good point. And a lot less work.

Reply to
micky

I've noticed this on newer mowers as well. I have a sears mower from the mid 90's that bags grass like crazy! It stuffs it completely, whereas the newer ones won't fill even halfway. The design of the bag on the older mower definitely seems to make a big difference. The bottom is level with the ground, but the newer ones all angle upward and the grass appears to be clogging in the discharge as it's fighting gravity.

Reply to
CTG