"Households will be turning up the heat" - ffs why???

Money Box Live on the Radio. Started with the announcer saying: "As winter comes, households will be turning up the heat".

FFS WHY???

This is one of the few things that makes me want to actually pick up the radio and throw it against a wall.

25degrees was fine for the summer, why on earth will I be wanting to turn the heating up higher for the winter?

When you move in/install heating, you set the roomstat to whatever you find comfortable, and then leave the fecking thing alone.

Agh!!!!!

Why does whatever you set the heating to in July suddenly become too cold in December? *IT'*S *THE* *SAME* *FECKING*

*TEMPERATURE*!!!!!!!!!!!!

JGH

Reply to
jgharston

Because more of it leaks out through the walls and windows.

I keep my heating on 24/7 at a low temperature.

I assure you that as the outside temp goes lower I have to adjust the heating temperature upwards by about 6 degrees to keep the rooms at the same temperature.

tim

Reply to
tim....

I have thermostat that does that for me. Has 150 years of heating technology passed you by? I've had my roomstats on the same setting since I moved in here in May.

JGH

Reply to
jgharston

If you had your heating controlled by a thermostat in your living room (or even your hall if you had a fire as well as radiators) your wouldn't need to keep messing with the boiler thermostat.

Reply to
Roger Chapman

As a rough guess, I'd say that draughts in the summer are either not noticeable or are in fact welcome.

In winter they aren't.

Folks turn up the thermostat in winter so that they are comfortable.

If your lounge is at a nice 23 deg C in the centre of the room and equidistant between floor and ceiling, you might get a surprise if you then put the thermometer at floor level. It might be say 19 deg Cdown there.

When people get cold feet due to this thermal stratification, they turn up the thermostat to get their upper body warmer, which then warms the feet via the cardiovascular circulation.

Winter has the unfortunate effect of highlighting heat losses and draughts, and as far as comfort levels go Winter Summer.

TF

Reply to
Terry Fields

Journalists' nonsense or a figure of speech, but not incorrect.

Thermostats work on the air temperature which could, given an ideal heating system, remain constant at, say, 21 degC.

Human comfort is based on heat losses by convection (air temperature), radiation and cooling by evaporation. So, in cold weather, the surrounding radiant surfaces (walls, floors, ceilings) are colder so you feel colder although the air temperature stays constant. You lose more heat by radiation. ISTR that human comfort conditions are best controlled by a temperature sensor in a b;ack ball of about 6" diameter; can't recall what it's called though.

Similarly, UFH SHOULD allow you to feel comfortable at a lower air temperature.

So there.

Reply to
Onetap

There's also the effect of air movement. When it's cold outside and there's a hot radiator pumping out heat, the air moves around quite a lot. That movement affects human comfort but has no effect on a thermostat. The colder it is outside, the more air movement there is. The effect is quite pronounced in this house where the radiators were all installed on the walls opposite the windows, and still noticeable with the more usual arrangement of radiators under the windows.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

They didn't say thay'd be turning up the *temperature*. My household turns up the heat in winter without anyone touching any controls. That's what thermostats are for after-all.

Cheers,

Colin.

Reply to
Colin Stamp

They always say it in a manner that means a human being interfering with some controls somewhere, as in: good evening, it's now officially winter, and I expect you'll be turning your heating up. And now, the weather...

JGH

Reply to
jgharston

It used to infuriate me at work (with a load of females) when going into a conference room - the Air Con would be pushed down to 15 degrees if it was hot and up to 30 if it was cold. Then after about half an hour - guess what - it would be reversed. (I gave up)

Weather forecasters infuriate me by telling me what to wear - and whether to take my "brolly" (I ain't got one!) Stick to talking about the weather!

Reply to
John

Which has very little to do with human comfort. I find 18C to be a comfortable temperature for my car in summer, but in winter, that feels cold and it is set to 24C at the moment.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

I don't

The LL decided to save 50 quid by not fitting one. All I have is a stat on the boiler (and no I don't know how it works to keep the room at a set temperature and yes I did ask here for an explanation)

I have to change mine

Reply to
tim....

Not my choice I assure you

tim

Reply to
tim....

That's on account of the humidity gov.

I find that you can knock a degree off the comfort zone for every 10% humidity there is.

Cheap way to feel warmer in winter is indoor plants: they feed moisture into the air.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Nightjar wrote on Nov 24, 2010:

Yes, I've often wondered about that. I can sit outside quite comfortably in the summer at a temperature of 20C. Using the same thermometer indoors now, that would seem rather too chilly for comfort.

Reply to
Mike Lane

I find, especially nowadays, that my body switches from automatically being "too hot" (summer) to "too cold" (winter). This happens sometime in spring and autumn as appropriate. There's some hysteresis in there somewhere, which accounts for having to crank the thermostat up and down.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Well it could be all in the mind but I don't think so. I think it is mostly physiological rather than psychological.

If I spend most of the day outside when I come in for a break the daytime set temperature of 17C seems warm. Stay in all day and I have to push the temperature up to the evening setting of 19C.

I find that as I grow older I have less and less tolerance to the cold. I am looking after a neighbour's dog this week and when I take her out my top half is OK in a big padded jacket but my legs seem very cold even though there is not much wind and the air temperature is still marginally above zero.

Reply to
Roger Chapman

Might mist up the windows in the car though.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Different humidity though and that dramatically changes the subjective temperature even if the actual temperature is the same.

Air leaks are more noticeable (and unwelcome) in winter.

etc.

So yup, a stat will do some, but possibly needs tweaking a bit - especially in older less well insulated places.

Reply to
John Rumm

Don't you agree you need more HEAT (energy) to maintain the same TEMPERATURE in winter than in summer?

Reply to
Graham.