Granite sink knockout

I'm now a proud owner of a Franke "Frangranite" sink, which I intend to fit this weekend. The installation instructions show that the tap knockout should be punched out, but I'm worried this could crack the entire sink. I thought I'd check out this group for opinions - and my alarm has grown on reading recent posts including one relating to the same problem with ceramic sinks (albeit a different material).

Am I being too concerned? If I'm going to do this I assume one good sharp blow is better than a few tentative taps? There's even a video on the Franke website showing this in action

- the suspenseful music doesn't help!). If the manufacturer is recommending this approach is must be OK. Mustn't it?

Basically I want someone to tell me I'm a wimp, and to get on with it.

Any comments?

TIA Mike

Reply to
Michael Atkinson

Yes. You're a Wimp.

Get on with it!

(You know it has to be done. Get the punch and the hammer and off you go)

/me prays for the sink!

Reply to
EricP

Before you administer the blow, check the small print of your home insurance policy.

Reply to
Bruce

I recently asked a similar question about a ceramic belfast 200 sink, and as a follow up to the group, I am hoping to solve it by mounting the single hole tap in an offcut of white marble which the local monumental mason cut to size and drilled a hole in it for me (collecting it this morning). This is to be mounted on the back edge of the sink and sealed in place with silicon ( non acid cure type).

I Hope it works.

Good Luck Michael,

Don

Reply to
Donwill

If the manufacturer says to do it a certain way, as long as you follow the instructions EXACTLY, if it breaks they will have to replace it. Don't be tempted to think of a better way - then breakages would be your problem!

auctions

Sorry if this appears twice I cannot see the original I sent some 2 hrs ago. Tiscali must be asleep.

I recently asked a similar question about a ceramic belfast 200 sink, and as a follow up to the group, I am hoping to solve it by mounting the single hole tap in an offcut of white marble which the local monumental mason cut to size and drilled a hole in it for me (collecting it this morning). This is to be mounted on the back edge of the sink and sealed in place with silicon ( non acid cure type).

I Hope it works.

Good Luck Michael,

Don

Reply to
Donwill

ITYM "silicone".

Silicon would not be much use in this application:

"Not to be confused with silicone".

Reply to
Bruce

I administered the blow. It worked. Sink still in one piece.

Thanks to all for the advice and encouragement.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Atkinson