Grand Designs

New series starts in half an hour (or an hour and a half on +1)

"epic bid to turn a castle ruins in Ireland into a spectacular fantasy home without an architect and in the middle of a recession."

Reply to
Andy Burns

That's not a very nice way to refer to the island of Ireland

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Nothing can go wrong then...

Reply to
Tim Watts

Maybe they can turn my knackered asbestos garage into a luxury bungalow then.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

If you live in London some gangmaster will pay you £50k and house ten immigrant slave families in it.

Reply to
Ericp

The subject can't have been much of a Grand Designs fan. In the first series our Kev made the point about it being easier to change a drawing than build without and change that. And with monotonous regularity ever since.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

But he didn't want the finished build to be "the architect's design"

tim

Reply to
tim.....

Surprisingly little did, in the end. Apart from running out of money, of course. The whole thing was a fantasy and it's the type of project that, if it had been done at the start of the boom, would have worked well and perhaps even paid for itself by time of the collapse. As in so many things, timing was wrong. Cracking place to live, though.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

You don't need architect's 'design' to discover a bathroom or bedroom is too small. A scale drawing most could do on a computer would show that.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

On Thursday, September 13, 2012 1:44:59 PM UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote= :

Or a path on the first floor.

You might have needed an architect (or similarly clued up person), to notic= e that the floor timbers for the first floor could/should be built *in* the= depth of the supporting steels (rather than on top). That would have allo= wed the ceiling to leave rather more space above the tops of the windows.

If he hadn't wasted so much money knocking stuff down and rebuilding it, he= could have got quite a bit further with the money he was loaned - and I wo= nder if he might have found it easier to borrow the rest too.

Reply to
Martin Bonner

ice that the floor timbers for the first floor could/should be built *in* t= he depth of the supporting steels (rather than on top). That would have al= lowed the ceiling to leave rather more space above the tops of the windows.

he could have got quite a bit further with the money he was loaned - and I = wonder if he might have found it easier to borrow the rest too.

Was anyone surprised the banks would advance him no more money? Would you ? No qualified contracts manager,Nn architect, and a client with his head up = his arse. You'd have to be mad.

Reply to
fred

Elsewhere in the prog it was stated they had lent the money to build thousands of new housing estates with no buyers.

We weren't told of the subject's finances. He might well own property etc that covers the value of the loans. He wasn't doing the usual 'living in a caravan on site' that those short of cash do.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

But we were told that he needed to borrow the money to buy the furniture for this house, so he can't be that well off

tim

Reply to
tim.....

arse. You'd have to be mad.

Nobody got any more money. You had to be here at the time to know it. It was and is, s**te, for a developer of any scale.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon